Monday, April 9, 2012

Creative differences

So I decided that since Anna-Kate was turning 6 this year, I would involve her more in the planning of her party (that would, evidently, be mistake #1).

She's settled on a luau theme and, I thought, wanted to do it at the pool. Super, zero mess, pretty cheap = all good things as it is just days before baby comes. Imagine my shock when we sat down to talk about it the other day, so I could work on invitations, and this conversation transpires...

Me: "So, we'll have the party at the pool. Would you like crafts too?"
AK: "Umm, I don't think I want it at the pool, just our backyard. And I want to have a craft of making hula (grass) skirts and no one will wear swimsuits just their hula skirts."
Me: "well, first, I don't think boys are going to be interested in making a skirt. Second, you can't have people wear hula skirts without a swimsuit, it isn't modest."
{Bursts into hysteric and over the top dramatic tears}
AK: "But I don't want there to be water! I don't want my friends to see my hair wet!"
Me: (incredulous that I just heard that come out of my 5 year old daughters' mouth) "You love swimming! Why in the world would you care if people see your hair wet?"
AK: (still sobbing) "Because it's not beautiful when it turns brown."
Me: "Oh. Wow."

3 comments:

Christy said...

That is SO funny!!! I can't stop giggling :) Good luck with the party planning!

The Bartons said...

I don't think I'm ready to have a girl! :)

Kathy said...

I can hardly wait until you're planning her 14th birthday party.
Love,
Mom