Saturday, October 15, 2011

The moment I stopped breathing

Today we went to Target after Ryans' soccer game. He was sitting under the buggy as we went out to the car. I had just stopped pushing and was reaching to open the trunk when I happened to see Ryan hop out just as the car next to us was backing up. I screamed "STOP!". Ryan instantly froze. The woman slammed on her brakes, missing him by maybe two inches. I was absolutely shaking. She leaned out of her window, almost in hysterics herself, and just kept saying, "I'm so sorry, I have children, I'm so sorry.". I was holding both big kids' hands and motioned her to back up. She said she would wait that she would feel more comfortable knowing they were in the car. She waited for 5 minutes as I buckled everyone. She then apologized again. Of course I wasn't angry with her, but I really couldn't speak I was so shaken.

Chris had been on the other side of the car and had missed it, except for my scream. As I explained the situation to him I was overcome by how truly blessed and protected we were today. I nightly pray over my children that the Lord would preserve them for His glory and put his angels to surround them. Today, I witnessed the protection of my son, and truly, an answer to my many prayers.

If I had turned my head one second earlier...if Ryan had not instantly obeyed me and frozen...if that woman's window hadn't been rolled down for her to hear me...my day, my life could look very different.

Tonight, I hugged my kids a bit tighter, will echo my prayer of many nights before, and will praise the Lord for his protection and faithfulness.

No comments: