Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Answered prayer

I believe in the power of prayer.

I also believe in gravity, but I see that happen pretty frequently (my kids, their eating utensils and toys would be exhibit A, B, and C, respectively). I don't often "see" highly unlikely situations perfectly worked out in response to prayer. But on the occasions that I do, it is a humbling and beautiful thing.

We have had a rough preschool year here thus far. There were a few problems we saw in Anna-Kate's transition (based on her preparedness that she learned, or didn't, in preschool) that were troubling and then a few problems in Ryan's class this year. We began by just thinking we'd move him to another Pre-K4 next year, then it turned to "I wonder if we'll last the full year", then "we'll put him out in between semesters" to finally, "we are pulling him out today...two weeks before Christmas."

To say that it's been emotional and hard would be a huge understatement. I wish I could say that Ryan has come out unscathed, but that would not be accurate either.

For perspective, in our town, preschools (well, schools in general) are extremely competitive. Registration happens in early February and if you aren't in a school already (by having a sibling there, or church affiliation) you are extremely lucky to get in at that point. Most often, you go on a waiting list (which can help you get in the following year). Anyway. As the situation deteriorated at Ryan's school I began looking around at our options. The various schools I called either put me on the list (we were number 17) or refused to put me on a list because it was too long that I wouldn't get in. Or, it was in town (far away) and really expensive (which would lead me to put Jack somewhere else, resulting in me driving to three schools next fall, with an infant, which is just not a sustainable/healthy family decision for us). I was extremely worried and stressed out, but, was confident that we were following the Lord and doing the best thing for Ryan.

So, last week I called a school I had not particularly heard of before, on a complete (desperate) whim. I spoke to her for close to an hour and had every question perfectly answered (no TV! No child ever alone! Two teachers in each room! The same writing curriculum that Anna-Kate's school uses! Zero tolerance for physical behavior from children! Fantastic playground! They stay until 1!). I could keep going, but those are a couple of high points. :) She said she'd had a couple of families move over Christmas and had space, but needed to call through her waiting list. So we waited, for a week.

She called yesterday and told us that not only had Ryan been accepted, but that his best buddy, Lydia, would be accepted and they would be in the same class together! I was overwhelmed at the goodness of God. What has been months of worry and heartache has been perfectly fixed. Had I called a month ago, she would have turned me away as she didn't know of anyone leaving and her wait list was long. The Lord gave me that school name at the perfect time. And He provided Ryan's little friend, Lyd to go with him.

We visited today to meet his teachers and see his new friends. We hadn't been in the classroom 2 minutes when a little boy walked up to Ryan, introduced himself, held Ryan's hand and asked him to come play with him. The boys played trucks, computer and I heard them talking about their love of soccer and hatred of shots--all in the span of 15 minutes. Ryan went from terrified of a new school this morning (which, I honestly can't blame him) to excited to start his new school and play with his new friends next Monday. My heart is overflowing with joy and with thankfulness for the provision from the Lord...for answering the deep desire and prayer of my heart.

5 comments:

Meagan Dennison said...

There are preschools that let the kids watch tv? And less than 2 teachers? Wow, I guess I'm spoiled!!

Tate Family said...

blessed and highly favored

The Levy's said...

That.is.awesome! Enough said!!

Melissa said...

Ditto to Meagan!

As the daughter of a pre-K teacher, I'm actually appalled that in their short day, they are having the children watch tv. Whenever I talked to my mom about her day, they are so jam packed with learning activities (and centers, let's face it, kids DO need to play - although the centers again each have a focus). And how do they have fewer than 2 teachers? Insane!

I'm so excited for your family that the perfect and ideal solution worked out for you. Good luck to Ryan on Monday!

Holbie said...

I'm glad you found a preschool. Rachel goes until 1 and it is great. She eats lunch at school too and then comes home and I don't have to fix the lunch.
Have any of their past preschools put on the tv? I can't believe that!