Saturday, March 31, 2012

Jack turns TWO! {the party version}

Well, my baby is two. Tear.

We started his {fake...ie party day} birthday with our traditional birthday breakfast of donuts and eggs. He spied the Thomas the train napkins I scored at Target for $1.48 a pack and was over the moon about it.

Man, he's a cute kid. :)




His party was at 11 so we did the final things to prepare. I actually got in bed before midnight, which is early for me--especially for a night before a party. :) Chris got in bed at 11, he refused to stay up as moral support as I made Jack a birthday shirt to wear. He did not appreciate the "need". :)

I seriously wonder how people planned parties before pinterest. I love that site! I have been storing away ideas for months now and was very happy with both the cuteness and simpleness of the party. And, bonus, Jack had a blast--and that's really what it's all about (not a photo-op, I have to remind myself!).

Party favors were little trains. The original idea I found was to make the body of the train from a tube of lifesavers. Well, unless special ordered, lifesavers are only available in bags, which didn't help me at all. Because of peanut allergies I couldn't use the tubes of mini-M&M's, so I was seriously scratching my head! Two nights before the party, as I was searching my 6th (yes, sixth) store for lifesavers, I saw bubbles packaged 3 for $1. Done. So we have bubbles, a rolo, hershey kiss, "thank you for coming" on the back, lifesaver wheels and the toothpick cut off of the thomas heads--intended for cupcake toppers--to form my train. Cheap, cute, allergy free, not too much of a sugar high and relatively practical use wise. :) Super.



I found super cute wrapping paper at Costco and put out a request for shoe boxes from friends to come up with my train cars for my food. Very happy with them.

Food set up...(that would be a log car--pretzels, aquarium car--goldfish, citrus car--orange slices, coal car--raisins, and the next picture shows, produce car--celery, carrots and ranch, station house sammies--ham and cheese, and the adults' pasta salad and wagon wraps--spinach wraps with avacado, cheddar, ham, bell pepper and lettuce--and they were awesome!).



Closer up...



Cake Table:



Jack spent a good portion of his party sitting in Poppy's lap eating pretzles, err, "logs". :) He was in hog heaven...






And, my simplest cake to make yet, and the birthday boy L-O-V-E-D it. For simplicity sake I served cupcakes to the kids and cake to the adults. I pre-scooped birthday cake icecream into muffin liners (in a muffin tray) and had them in the freezer ready to pull out and serve. I did it for Ryan's party too and I think it's one of my favorite birthday party ideas yet.



He wasn't sure about everyone singing to him, but as soon as everyone finished he started trying to blowout the candles.



I'd say the cake was a hit. :)



Sweet little Caroline--that poor beautiful dress! :)



Chris totally wins a prize for father of the year. :) He often begrudgingly plays along with my crazy ideas, but this time he totally ran with it. I showed him a {pinterest} picture of a train built from boxes. I had been asking friends to save them for a few weeks (PS, you can't get refrigerator boxes anymore--all of the big companies sell/recycle them.). He spent over an hour constructing the train for the kids to play in. It was such a hit and he did an awesome job! I had a can of markers for the kids to decorate the train and they could climb all in it--such cheap fun!

Annie, Anna-Kate and Luke decorating. :)



Lydia in the train.



Me, with my big 2 year old!



We blew up the bounce house again (such a good investment for us!) and the kids enjoyed our backyard toys and the awesome new bubble machine that Mimi and Oompa gave Jack for his birthday!





Bubbles! (and every time I see kids giddy over bubbles it makes me think of Nemo. Lol).



Jacks buddy, Jack, going for a spin.



We ended up leaving the bounce house up all afternoon and the kids jumped to their little hearts' contents. Then we ate dinner outside, (leftovers from lunch-YES!) they jumped some more, threw them in the bath and everyone slept like rockstars. The end.



The big kids {And Anna-Kate showing off her "pink" tooth. Lol.}



Happy 2nd birthday little Jack...time sure flies when I'm having fun.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Looks fantastic! The train cars for the food are so cute. Looks like a blast. Happy Birthday Jack!

Tate Family said...

AWW, what a sweet post. They are getting so so big. :( and :) the party looks like it was a hit!