Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Blessed be the Name of the Lord

Know the song? It’s in my playlist. Click on it.

This song has meant a lot to me for a long time. The end refrain, “you give and take away” (and my church changes it to say) “my heart by grace will say, Lord blessed be Your Name”. Life isn’t fair, things don’t always go my way. It’s life, and no one ever promised me my way. (Just ask my mom. She often reminded me of this fact as I was growing up. Often.) I’ve had sadness and losses in my life, but God gives grace sufficient to overcome heartache. He never stops being in control, His will is never altered; these things He promises.

Well, the election of ’08 is over—praise the Lord! I am so over all of the political signs, ads, slander etc that comes with a Presidential election. I’ve seen and heard a lot of Christians talking about doomsday and the end of America as we know it. My question is this. Did God stop being in control yesterday? (hoping to hear a resounding NO….)Obama was not my choice for President, but he was Gods choice. Who am I to question that? I have been called to respect the office and to pray for wisdom for him as he leads our country.

Blessed be the name of The LORD. He is in control, He chose our 44th president, and His will has been, and will continue to be, done. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Not to get all political on a fun, family-updating blog…but had to share my thoughts.

For your reading pleasure, the lyrics.

Blessed Be Your Name
by Matt Redman
- - -
Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

***
You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

4 comments:

Tate Family said...

Thank you, and, yes, you are SO RIGHT. I wonder if God is annoyed that some of us are acting like toddlers, stomping and pitching a fit b/c we didn't get "our guy." Obama is GOD'S guy -- for whatever reason that we might not be able to see. Thanks for the honest and humbling post!!!

Jana said...

Good post, Janelle. Thanks for your thoughts on this. I agree with you and it brings me great peace to know that, no matter what, God still is in control!!

Leslie said...

I'm reading a book about this topic right now. It's called "Trusting God" by Jerry Bridges. It's a great book about how we CAN trust God because he is sovereignly in control of everything! I am thoroughly enjoying it and learning a lot. I highly recommend it!

Anonymous said...

Okay, J, sneaking in on this post to give you your letter.

How about "N"? (:

Jenny