Friday, April 1, 2011

Cross-stitching

I have a lot of {possibly random, unrelated} thoughts in my head these days.

For starters, I really should look into cross stitching a pillow with the words, "I am the Mommy. I have to win. I will be consistent" onto a pillow for a little daily {err, minutely} reminder.

It's funny {in the ironic, not 'haha' kinda way} how God provides such immediate opportunities to try out what He teaches. We have always told our children that obedience is "first time, quickly and with a joyful heart" but felt that we really needed to drive home the quickly aspect. So for the last week we've really been harping on the fact that if all three components of obedience are not there, it is in effect, disobedience--and disciplining as such {Did I mention Chris was out of town this week. Ya, it's been a long week. Lucky dog also missed out on the good times of putting eye drops in Ryans' eyes. Oh itissogoodtoseeyouFriday!}. Anyway, we were talking with our friends last night about our renewed vigor in this arena and, wouldn't you know it, Ryan gave me the opportunity to follow through this very morning. Let's just say, it took me 45 minutes to put Ryan's clothes on and get to school. An endeavor that generally takes about 12-15 total {Did I mention I was exhausted?}. I welcome all prayers for patience and grace {for me} and a break through to my precious strong willed sons' heart. As I drove Anna-Kate to school, I was seething. We were late, I was forced to do the preschool "walk of shame" (walk her in after missing carpool) and I was physically, emotionally and Spiritually depleted. I was angry with Ryan. In fact, I told him to sit in his carseat and think about the discipline he had coming to him {because I couldn't discipline him in love at that moment}. I didn't want to listen to the traffic report so I put Anna-Kate's church Easter {choir} music in. I heard these lyrics and just cried.

"...Cause when we see You we find strength to face the day, in Your presence all our fears are washed away... Hosanna! You are the God who saves us...worthy of all our praises..."

I need the Lords daily renewing mercies, grace and strength to face each day. Motherhood simply makes me more tangibly aware of that fact.

***

Last week the women leadership in our church sponsored a dinner for the ladies to bring unbelieving friends that we have been praying for. It was a great dinner, fun fellowship and a fantastic speaker. The speaker shared her testimony and as she was sharing the first Bible verse she ever heard to a silent room, the wait staff turned up rap music (in the kitchen in the back) so loud that I literally couldn't hear a word she was saying. A few minutes later she was sharing a different Scripture and someones phone rang, sending almost everyone diving for their purses to turn it off. Finally, moments before she prayed for those who didn't yet know and love the Lord a girl left {and all eyes followed her} and she *happened* to walk back in during the crux of the prayer. It was jaw dropping, the spiritual warfare that took place that night. Clearly, the Lord was moving and doing big things! Very exciting!

3 comments:

Christy said...

So glad to hear about how the women's dinner went! And I will remember to pray for you about Ryan. You're doing a great job!

Dance411 said...

I pray he grows out of it soon...Marley did. SHe is a whole new person and I know it's because of my prayers..formyself!

Beth Maddox said...

I don't think parenting should be about winning against your children.