Saturday, April 30, 2011

It finally came!

So, how about the wedding of the century? Not too shabby I say. :) I loved the trees, but am perplexed by the price tag (estimated at 85k) and think it would have been most unfortunate to actually get an invite and then have the view blocked by a tree. Just sayin'. I thought the bride was gorgeous. I mean, truly beautiful. Wills is a lucky guy I'd say. I thought Camilla's pleats in her khaki coat looked like a school uniform skirt, but loved her hat. And, Oh, the hats! Such fun. Why o why can't we wear hats? To be fair, I'm not sure I could rock a fascinator, but wouldn't it be fun? Anywho.

For months, Anna-Kate has asked, almost daily, when Princess Kate is getting married. I was relieved {and excited myself} that the day finally came! We set the tivo and invited Leigh-Ann over for a girls night viewing. We sipped our fancy drinks {err, Chick-fil-a banana pudding milkshakes...} and watched the wedding.

Here is my girl, "all fancy" for the viewing (yes, she's wearing a tiara, has a scepter, large ring and a purse with her nightgown).



I am so thankful for my daughter! It was so fun to see her excitement and let her stay up late (9:50, to be exact!!!) for a special treat. She was precious.

A few of Anna-Kate's observations..."Why is Prince William such a copy-cat?" (as he repeated after the minister during the vows. I may or may not have laughed really hard). We had a great time looking at the various hats, but at the royal blue one that came to a point between the girls' eyes she said, "Oh gracious, that is just horrible isn't it?"

A few thoughts of my own...

1. The new Duchess' name is Kate, yet Catherine. This makes no sense in my head.

2. William is Wills? Why not Will?

3. Those giving the play-by-play seemed sure they were going to make it because they had lived together so long. While I too hope their marriage stands the test of time, I was troubled that they laughed off "living in sin" {their words}as old-fashioned negativity and being the obvious more practical option for establishing durability in a relationship. Sigh.

O well, it was a true fairytale to watch and I loved every second! :)

2 comments:

Mom said...

Two additional comment in light of your post. . .
Did you catch the minister (archbishop or whoever he was) at the beginning of the ceremony giving God's 3 purposes for marriage? One of them should have been a slap-on-the-hand for the couple's living together before marriage. Actually, I thought the service was biblically very good.
What did you think of Princess Beatrice's pink hat? (She was the one whose sister Eugenie wore the blue hat that Anna-Kate commented so honestly on.)

Glenn and Angela said...

I am totally with you on the Kate, Catherine thing...it should be either Kate and Katherine, or Cate and Catherine - the way it is now really bothers me too! And since I have no little girl to watch with (and really just because I'm almost 30 and can), I honestly wore my own wedding tiara with my PJs. LOL! :)