Sunday, May 1, 2011

The power of words

I am trying to be extremely intentional and cautious with my words. Words hold an amazing power--to uplift, teach and encourage or to tear down and devastate.

The other day I dropped Anna-Kate at the soccer field and told her to start playing and I'd park and be there in a minute {our friends were right there to intercept her, it wasn't dangerous. We were late, what else is new?}. I came back and she was playing with a friend on the side of the field. I called her name and she didn't hear me, so I called it louder followed with "what are you doing I thought I told you to go play your game???" {or something equally as sensitive and kind...}. The look on her face brought tears to my eyes. I had beyond embarrassed and shamed her in front of her friends, and for what? She had misunderstood me, she was not intentionally disobeying. My words absolutely cut her down. That evening I pulled her aside and told her that I was so very sorry for embarrassing her in front of her friends and for not speaking with kindness and love. She smiled and told me she forgave me and loved me. I teared up--I had an opportunity to show her love and grace {and teach about giving others the benefit of the doubt} and I blew it by raising my voice. Shame.

The next morning she handed me this note. She got help with her spelling, but this is my first note from her. I will cherish these words, simple as they are, always.



When she read me her note she said, "I love you. Love, Anna-Kate. For Mom." and added, "I did your name in pink because it's our fabrit {favorite--I just will cry when she says this right. It's one of the few things she incorrectly says} color". :)

***

Ryan keeps me laughing with the things he says. So I can remember...

"I want a peanut bluller sandwich".
"I need persmishion?" {permission}
"Get these things of of me!" {desperately wiping tears off his face. This always makes me laugh and think of Seinfeld's "salty discharge" episode. LOL.}

***

Jack is now speaking, which is thrilling. In addition to "dada" {which he has said exclusively for months, little stinker} he now appropriately says "mama", "yay", {with arms lifted up to cheer for something} "anana", (banana) "Kaaa" {long "A" sound, Anna-Kate} and he is signing "please". I'm thrilled with his progress and desperately trying not to compare him to his much more verbal siblings. :)

No comments: