Wednesday, May 4, 2011

She says

Wow, tough crowd. No comments on my first hand written note? Shame to the tens of you that read this blog! :) Guess I'll try again. Ha!

Yesterday, Anna-Kate came in wearing a skirt on her head. Clearly, her bridal veil.



I asked her to tell me a little bit about her husband and she said, "well, his name is James. He isn't a train, he's a real man (for those without little boys, James is one of Thomas the train engines' friends). He's a prince and he's tall and handsome and we are married now. So, I'm a princess now since I married him, just like the real Princess Kate, huh?" I told her that since Jesus lives in her heart that she is a real princess because she is a daughter of the King, to which she responded, "ya, but now since I'm married to Prince James I'm a really real princess here, not just in heaven."

So did not know how to follow that comment up.

***

Last night we went to our friends' house, as we rotate each Tuesday night. She and Adam are the best of friends, more like siblings or cousins than anything (Friblings, anyone?). Anyway, as they waited to use the bathroom before bed (we put the kids down in their sleeping bags for some adult time) they had a very serious conversation about today at school. They talked about what they'd do (draw). What they would draw together (a giant with 4 arms holding little guys--Adam's idea). What Adam would draw for Anna-Kate since she only likes "castles, hearts and flowers" (a princess).

Leigh-Ann and I sat in the hallway with those two and Ryan (always along for the ride when there is a social scene to crash) and just soaked it in. I walked away from that 10 minutes of staying up late so blessed. They were so sweet and genuine in their conversations and their love for each other. They were so innocent. I was struck by how often I might have missed little things like that as I put the kids to bed and rush away to do the fifty things on my to-do list. It was just precious...how long will they want us around to eavesdrop and snuggle?

Sweet times with sweet friends. :)

***

I have to add what Ryan said yesterday morning...he got up earlier than the other two (I wish I could say that was a shocking comment...) so was ready before them. He had his shoes on, tapping the floor with his foot and called to Anna-Kate and said, "Come on Anna-Kate, let's speed it up, girlfriend!". I about lost it I was laughing so hard. It's weird to hear yourself through your kids.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Love those precious children. . .
Thank you for investing your life and your time in them.

Mom B said...

Yes, Friblings! I love you (and Mark, who will always be counted as one of the Friblings in my heart!) being one of our kids' Friblings!

And I did love the hand written note. I have one from Emily, one evening when I was talking on the phone to your Mom...
"I'm hungry. Feed me.
I'm sleepy. Put me to bed."
I kept it safe...it's a special one!

I also found one in my cabinet, that Emily just put in there one time, that says:
"Happy, happy, happy day!
To: Whoever finds this
From: Whoever sent this!
Happy Day! Happy Day!
Have a nice day!"
Needless to say, I keep it in the back of the cabinet so that I find it occasionally, and bask in blessed grace from my kids!