Friday, May 27, 2011

A fancy party, indeed!

Well, my girl is FIVE and we celebrated in a posh manner (that's a fancy word for fancy). Anna-Kate is crazy about Fancy Nancy books. Nancy is a little girl who adores all things fancy, French and abhors the ordinary. She uses flamboyant vocabulary and is such fun! It was the obvious choice for our soiree (that's fancy for party). Traditionally, at least half of the invited guests can't attend (see previous post on May being busier than December). Imagine my surprise (and delight, just a little fear at first, ha!) when 15 friends affirmed their attendance! Thankfully my parents and our dear friends stayed to help our parent/child ratio a bit. :) Per usual, I was a bit more ambitious in my planning than five year olds evidently like for a party. Sigh.

We did some crafts, ate, (Chick-fil-a nuggets, fruit, pretzels and strawberry lemonade) had cake, attempted our games {which flopped} and went straight to plan B, pull out the bounce house--STAT! We squeezed in some present opening and it was a perfect party!

Setting the stage...the place settings (with bejeweled flatware and fancy flower straws--thank you, dollar store!).



The centerpiece. We used some more boas and mom (the master gardener) fixed the arrangments. As I don't have 5 matching bud vases we went for what I do have five of, wine glasses. I think they turned out perfect!



Ooh la la! The cake! Tres chic! :)





Despite looking like the leaning tower of Pisa, it was actually straight, unlike my camera, evidently.




The boas displayed (to be used for our game).



Peppermint white chocolate lollipops for favors (with their fancy accessories)



Fruit kebabs



At the fancification (that's a word, right?) stations...they took turns decorating crowns with jewels and coloring wands (both for the "pretty princess" game we played later).



Decorating.



Poor guys. We were a bit lacking in the testosterone department. Thankfully, they were perfectly dapper gentlemen. :)



This is the look she got on her face each time (ie, at school, our little family singing on her actual birthday and today) all eyes were on her to sing "Happy Birthday".



Takes a big breath to get all of those candles out!



All of the party go-ers.



"I'm a whole hand Mama!" (and a big thank you to Mimi and Oompa for the fanciest of all Fancy Nancy dresses!)



I'm not gonna lie, when the party ended, I was exhausted. But, it was all just lovely, the girls were on their best behavior and Anna-Kate had a wonderful time. So, I'll call it a success!

1 comment:

emilie said...

Wow. I am so Not a party planner and so I really admire people like you who are. That is such a cute party idea!! Good job.