Monday, September 19, 2011

The queen

Last weekend was homecoming at Anna-Kate's school. There was a parade of the homecoming court in convertibles (driven by parents) plus all of the "festivities" as Anna-Kate kept calling them. The lower school walked the track and then formed a tunnel (of sorts) for the football team to run through. At first Anna-Kate didn't want to participate because she heard "run through" and thought Red Rover (haha). Once that was cleared up she was happy to oblige.

With two friends, Marin and Natalie.



Struggling a bit to make a "W" with their fingers.



Cheering for the team as they ran through.



She danced and cheered her little heart out.



SO proud of her paw print tattoo.





As the game was about to begin a student began handing out papers with the courts' info on it--name, activities, which church they attend etc. As we read through the list we came to a senior, Anna Kate. From that moment until halftime my Anna-Kate was cheering for (big) Anna Kate to win (and yes, the girls were no where in sight, the game was going on). She loved every second--the game, the court, dancing to the band, watching the cheerleaders and mimicking their moves...it was so fun to watch her! Finally, halftime came and the girls were presented. Some of my favorite quotes of the night: "What do I have to do to get one of those roses on my shirt?" (Me: that's a boutonniere, you are in the wrong line of work. You would need to be a daddy to get one of those."). Eyes big, "She's {the winner} so beautiful! One day I want to be the queen of my school." And then, wouldn't you know it? Anna Kate won! Yay! My girl went nuts. A friend from church who is a teacher in the highschool asked Anna-Kate if she would like to meet Anna Kate. {My} A-K's eyes got huge and she nodded and said yes ma'am and marched her little self right over, looked up and said, "my name is Anna-Kate too and I wanted you to win!". The "queen" said that she'd never met another Anna Kate and was thrilled to meet her and then asked if Anna-Kate would take a picture with her. Anna-Kate walked right over and gave her a hug and smiled so big--made my night!

1 comment:

Tate Family said...

Something tells me AK will be a homecoming queen faster than we care to admit. :) She is darling!!