Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Merry Christmas!

From my family to yours!



{and yes, this is a picture of a picture. I'm amazing like that.}

The letter:

Merry Christmas! I cannot believe another year has flown by!

We have had a busy year with lots of traveling to see family. We were fortunate to be able to continue our annual Disney tradition with my parents this year and spent a wonderful week at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was an amazing trip as we were able to wake up to giraffes and zebras outside our window and a great little water park a short walk away at our resort! We also enjoyed being able to travel to St. Louis twice to see Chris’ parents. As Anna-Kate told a friend, “St. Louis is awesome. Their zoo has hippos and butterflies!” We are blessed.

Our big news is that we are happily anticipating the birth of our fourth child in late May or early June! The kids are very excited to find out in a few weeks if it’s a baby brother or baby sister coming. We suspect this to be our last child, so I am savoring every moment and flutter.

Jack, almost 21 months, is still sweet and easygoing, always happy to tag along as I run errands and as we drive carpool. He also holds the distinction as being our tall child with his height almost to the 25th percentile! The other big news in Jack’s life is his severe allergy to penicillin and his (actually diagnosed) extreme motion sickness. Lovely. Jack is happiest when playing trains with his siblings and is constantly asking where “Toss” (Thomas), “Icky” (Mickey) and “Buzz Buzz” (any Toy Story character) are to play with.

Ryan, 3 ½, is our independent child, yet the kid who still will snuggle with me (Oh, how I love that!). He can entertain himself for hours with his Tag books, trains, Legos or dressing up as super heros (Spiderman being his current favorite). Ryan has an amazing imagination! He loves learning and will tell you he is so sad that he hasn’t yet learned to read. One of his favorite things is having his sister read to him and then trying to figure out the words before she does.

Anna-Kate, 5 ½, is our big kindergartener! She is doing a fantastic job learning to read and we have loved watching her personality develop as she’s made new friends and learned to raise her hand and participate in class. We are beyond thrilled with the school that she is at and are thankful for teachers who come along side us as we parent. Her teacher called to tell us that Anna-Kate “has excellent hand writing and is always careful to take her time and to always do her best work”. We are so proud of her! Her favorite things are cheering at football games, playing dress up and using her vivid imagination, playing with her princess dolls and American girl doll, Lizzie. Anna-Kate is anxiously waiting to begin ballet next semester! She also enjoys reading to her brothers and will, on occasion, read our family devotion at night. So special!

I am well and enjoying the pregnancy, my (sometimes too busy) sewing business, and my ever expanding role of stay-at-home-mom. As I watch my children grow before my eyes I am finding it easier and easier to let a few things wait a bit around the house in favor of quality time spent with them. I realize that Anna-Kate won’t always want to tell me every detail of her day, or that Ryan won’t always need me to snuggle and comfort disappointments. I know Jack won’t always delight in simply holding my hand and having all of my attention. These simple treats are my blessing for this season of life, and I am doing my best to remember to “treasure today, for tomorrow, it will be memories.”

Chris is amazing. He loves his job, a true blessing, and has proven himself an integral member of his team. He works long hours but always manages to come home full of energy and with lots of love to devote to me and the kids. His favorite part of the day is coming home and opening the door to three children yelling “SURPRISE!” and tackling him at the door.

Blessings to you and yours this Christmas season. May the Lord bless you through 2012.

With love,
Chris, Janelle, Anna-Kate, Ryan, Jack and baby #4.

No comments: