Friday, December 30, 2011

December...it came, and almost went...

Oh December, what a busy month you are! Quick recap of the days leading up to Christmas:

The first weekend we visited my parents for a quick day trip to see Disney on Ice. I had wanted to take the kids here, but prices were too high. My parents' town had far more inexpensive prices and my mom was able to get a deal on top of that. Sign us up! My kids sat completely still for 2 hours, glued to the ice. It was wonderful! Anna-Kate and I went a couple of years ago to one of the princess shows. Thankfully, this one was perfect with attention shown to princesses, Toy Story, Nemo, the fight scene in Mulan, "Pokie-nokie", (Pinocchio) and my favorite, a tribute to "It's a Small World". A little something for everyone. Disney does nothing but cater to all audiences, and yet again, exceeded expectations.

Buzz and Woody! (or, to Jack, "BUZZ BUZZ!!")



Pocahontas and John



Belle and the Beast



The boys were wide-eyed!





All of the princesses with their princes.



Group shot--pretty good seats!



It's a Small World.



The following Friday was Anna-Kates schools' annual toy parade (each kid brings in a toy to donate to kids who don't have toys. They parade them through campus and the older students take them downtown and distribute them while the little kids have cookies and hot chocolate!). She was very excited to get to wear Christmas clothes to school and we bought fun reindeer ears for the occasion.



That night we spent back at Anna-Kate's school for their wonderful Christmas program. I was moved to tears to watch the kindergarten class recite Luke 2-complete with hand motions and "dramatic" voice intonations. It was fantastic. They sang some carols and we were able to get a picture with her teacher. A fantastic night!

Anna-Kate, with her sweet teacher.









The following weekend was BUSY, but so very fun! Friday was Anna-Kate's last day of school. The boys and I picked her up and headed down for our traditional ride on the Pink Pig and to visit Santa with friends. The lines were GLORIOUSLY short {remember last year? I almost swore it off!} Anyway, it was a wonderful experience this time. I feel a little bad that the Santa pictures make me laugh. A part of me will be sad when all four kids actually start smiling in the Santa pictures. :)

The big kids--Henry and Ryan, and Luke and Anna-Kate



Little Jack loved it!



The whole group of kids! (yes, we travel large!)



She asked for a light up hula hoop.



He asked for Captain America.



Santa did not get any Jack-love!



Finally, smiles and hugs {clearly, sans Jack, lol}



The most stressful part of the day was waiting in line in the food court for Chick-fil-a and then finding a table that would fit us all. We made it (barely) and the kids loved it! Afterwards, we went back to Megan's house for little kid naps while the mommies enjoyed salted caramel cupcakes purchased from the food court while the big kids watched a movie. Splendid afternoon!

That night we figured we'd throw a bit more activity in and went to church for a "young family Christmas party". We had pizza and goodies, Christmas movies (during which the mommies sat in a different room and chatted--super!) and some parent games. I won the mom game (blowing up a balloon and blowing it across the room first) and won the new Christmas Veggie Tales movie. I had some proud and happy kids!

Saturday the 17th was no slower...that morning was the ultrasound, followed by a graduation for a friends' husband. That evening was the kindergarten Christmas party. We had such a great time! Santa made an appearance and brought each child a gift (I felt so sneaky...not only did I get out my secret stash of Santa-only paper, but I successfully got the gifts inside, undetected!). Anna-Kate was thrilled with her new Barbie, Ryan loved his new dinosaur train car and dino and Jack was happy as pie with a new train. Fun night.

Sunday the children led worship at church, followed that evening by the adult choir presentation. I was exhausted, to say the least, by the time my head hit the pillow Sunday evening.

That week was spent in our pj's. We watched Christmas movies, had dance parties, made Christmas goodies to share with neighbors, played dress up, trains and doll house, and just enjoyed not having a schedule. It was a wonderful week!









Since I've been such a slacker, I'm post-dating this so I can fit Christmas in, in 2011. I'll just go on and pat myself on the back now.

2 comments:

Tate Family said...

as always, love all the pictures. fabulous cupcakes :)

Chris said...

blog more...