Friday, December 9, 2011

The tradition continues

Ahhh. I love the Christmas season. I generally even rally and blog every day in December (clearly, not the case this year...). I love the decorations and freshening up of spaces that stay the same all year. I love the wonder and excitement in my childrens' eyes as we put up our tree and they see their ornaments from years past and gleefully see lights around the neighborhood (we have awesome neighbor's who go crazy all out with lights...like a whole cul-de-sac of Griswolds!). I love the parties, decorating gingerbread houses, as much as it beyond stresses me out, buying and wrapping presents and sitting at home on the couch with Chris after the kids are in bed quietly enjoying the lights and the tree. In short, December is a month of very special memories and traditions, and I am just the kind of sap that lives for that! :) I love the teachable moments of things eternal that the constant talk of giving, sharing, and Jesus coming to earth afford me.

So, last night we continued our tradition of attending the Nutcracker. We were blessed by a friend who had access to some free tickets (yes, free!) and shared some with us. It's a pricey tradition I've started, so I was very thankful. Leigh-Ann and Lydia drove with us and my mom and Aunt Julia drove up to meet us for our traditional dinner pre-show. Side note, I kicked myself all night for getting something new and not my absolute favorite, the shrimp and grits. O well, I have the recipe from the restaurant that is part of our Christmas morning breakfast line up (yes, another tradition!)! :) Anyway. The show was beautiful, as always, but even more special this year as Anna-Kate was able to read (and was so proud of herself) the signage, as well as knowing the story so well that we whispered what was coming next and talked about how it was different from last year. I swear, I am watching that girl grow up before my eyes...and it ain't watching grass grow, it's happening fast!

Ladies Night Out! (which the girls told a couple of older gentlemen at the restaurant-ha!)

{And yes, I'm in that horribly awkward, "absolutely nothing fits me so I try and not look indecent as I wait for maternity clothes to fit" stage. Lovely.}



No comments: