Tuesday, August 16, 2011

First day of school {kindergarten version}

Last night our school hosted its annual meet the teacher night followed by the back to school picnic. Anna-Kate was very excited to meet her teacher and we enjoyed getting her acclimated to where her cubby was etc. After, we hit the playground while Chris gathered our picnic blanket/chairs then headed down to the football field where there were various food options, (yet we still ended up with Chikc-fil-a!) bounce houses, ride on toys for the littles and carnival games. My kids were in paradise!









The first day of school has a late start so I decided to make a big family breakfast. As I was just putting muffins in the oven I turned around to Anna-Kate (at 7:30 am) standing in the kitchen, fully dressed in her uniform with a huge grin on her face. She said, "do I look beautiful, Mama?" {that would be cry #1 of the day, if you wanted to keep track}. We enjoyed a slower breakfast then began the photo shoot. :) She came up to me as I stood there watching my kids play together in the last minutes before we left for school and was overwhelmed with joy and the blessings I have been given. I had a few tears in my eyes, and Anna-Kate ran up to me, threw her arms around me and said, "Mama, I am just so excited to go to my new school!" (this would be huge as I usually have to drag her/pry her off me the first few days).



Sad Daddy! He is not happy about her growing up!



Precious siblings. I am blessed by them!



As we drove to school I looked in the rear view mirror and saw her sitting there in her big girl booster, and in the foreground, Jack in her old infant seat. I kept willing myself to pull it together (this would be cry #3, the second happened as I prayed for breakfast :) ). We walked up the ramp at the exact same time as her friend Adam and his family, so of course, I began snapping their first day together at school. Jonathan mocked my scrapbook efforts. Ha!

Adam and Anna-Kate...sweet friends. :)



After I snapped pictures with her teachers and got a quick picture with us and her, (dismal as it is...) Chris left for work and the boys and I headed to the annual kindergarten "tissues and tears" party. Aptly named. They boys had a hay day with the food and I must have looked fragile as I received numerous hugs {from strangers} and "oh honeys".

Last picture before getting shooed away.



Her TA, Ms. Byrd



Her teacher, Ms. Miller



I came home and began cleaning while the boys played, surprisingly well together. Other surprise of the day? Being one kid down, the noise level in my house rose significantly. Boys! :)

We headed to school for early pick up at 1:30 and to attend a popsicle party to celebrate the first day of school. It was fun to see her walking out with her class, put her bag away, and then my heart melted as she saw me, shouted "mama" and came running to a big hug. (this would be cry 12 or so of the day...). My heart is full. Even as I miss her, I know the Lord has guided this decision and this is the school He planned for her. We are so blessed to be a part of this school, and even more blessed to call her our daughter.

She saw me and came running...I LOVE this picture!



I missed her so much! What a happy reunion! :)



Class picture



Her and Marin

1 comment: