Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Making Memories

{so help me}

Despite my exhaustion last night, I trekked to Publix last night for a few ingredients for a special Valentines Day breakfast. Then I baked a pan of brownies for Ryan's party at school today. I planned to use my 2" heart shaped cookie cutter to cut them out, add icing and sprinkles. Unfortunately, I must have imagined owning said cutter as the only one I had was 4" wide--much too large to get 14 kids (plus their parents and siblings) a brownie. Sigh. Too late and too tired to fix the problem.

I awoke at 6 to preheat the oven for my heart shaped cinnamon rolls, showered got ready and put the finishing touches on my themed breakfast. The kids were overjoyed at their "stickies" (Jack word for them--actually sounds more like "sickies" but that's just kinda gross) and strawberry yogurt with sprinkles. Anna-Kate drank her pink milk in a large gulp while Ryan whined that he doesn't like pink, only white. Sigh.

We left a few minutes late for carpool as someone didn't want to wear her uniform, only something pink. {We compromised on a large pink bow and...gasp...red, pink and navy argyle knee socks. Such rebels!} The second I walked in the door, I threw some breakfast at Jack (so thankful he is eating reasonably well with a spoon such that "spoon yogurt" was not everywhere) and whipped up some mini cupcakes and some small cakes for the kids' dessert tonight. Got the boys ready and was preparing to walk out the door to take Ryan to school when it all fell apart. He didn't want to go because he likes me, jammies and home. Not cupcakes. Not ever. I think because he's had pink eye {oh ya, update, we've had that again. it's fun.} he and I have spent a bit more time together and just been "sick". Who knows really.

I'll just say, I did not cement mother of the year this morning. As I buckled a crying flailing Ryan into the car I heard myself yelling over him, "YOU HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL SO I CAN MAKE TODAY A SPECIAL DAY FOR YOU!!!!"

{Yes, I really said that. Please don't judge me.}

He then responded that he didn't want to be my friend anymore. I delicately responded, "I HAVE FRIENDS AND I DON'T WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND RIGHT NOW EITHER!!!"

{I know, I'm a horrible human being.}

Then he unbuckled his seat belt (oh no he did-n't!) Fire may have come out of my ears as I barely whispered, "buckle immediately". Again, while fault lies on both sides, I'm willing to admit it was not my finest moment...

We drove to school in silence as I wrestled with my emotions. I apologized and asked his forgiveness for losing my patience. Thankfully, when we arrived, he hopped out of the car and skipped in, holding my hand. He offered me a big hug and kiss at the door (without being asked!) and ran in to play.

I rushed off to grocery shop and then ice the cupcakes. I was home a total of 24 minutes and ran back to school with half a tray of cupcakes and half a tray of brownies. Thankfully, the kids didn't seem to mind the randomness. :) Ryan greeted me with a big hug and kiss then pointed to his classroom (we were in the hallway) and said, "now you go back in there. I have to wait here with my class and get sanitized." Lol.

I'm planning breakfast for dinner...ham and eggs with red pancakes and strawberries for the kids and a "date night in" for us tonight after they are in bed. I'm planning bacon wrapped filet, roasted asparagus, twice baked potatoes, fresh bread and chocolate dipped strawberries for dessert. Cause, you know, nothing says "I love you Valentine" like stuffing them full of high caloric food. :)

Thankful for my Valentine, for our sweet littles and for the Lord's grace that covers my stumbling through parenthood.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

For the record, I have a zillion cookie cutters...knowing you though, I was probably sound asleep by the time you needed them! (I have hearts ranging in size from 1.5 inches to about 4 inches) Feel free to borrow anytime!

Steven and Hannah said...

Loved this post! Laughed my head off at your exchange with Ryan! you guys are awesome!

Tate Family said...

too funny. but not funny in the moment, i know. lots of those moments for me, too. love ya!