Thursday, February 23, 2012

Super Ryan!

Here he is, the big FOUR year old!



Sadly, no family shot. At least I got pictures of all three kids (and their capes--which has hardly come off Ryan's body.)! :)







Ryan has been talking about his super hero party for months. As I am not a "character" person, (be it on a t-shirt or at a birthday party) I began scouring pinterest and the internet for super hero themed parties, sans specific "guy". Found some cute invitations on vistaprint (thankfully, the kid pictured had blonde hair as changing hair color wasn't an option...but hey, they were cheap!). I thought to myself, "Oh, wouldn't it be fun for each of the kids to have their own cape? Ya, that'd be great, it could double as their party favor...think how much money I'll save." {PS, when will I learn that, at some point, time is money?} Anywho. I spent a long time making the capes (which originally were going to be personalized on both sides. Ended up with the child's first letter on one side. :) You know me and taking the easy way out...).

The forecast was positively horrible for his party day. 100% chance of rain {side note, the invitation specified bounce house. There were 16 kids between the ages of 1-6. I was sweatin' it out!}. We, as a family, prayed all week for the Lord to hold off the rain for Ryan's party. Anna-Kate even prayed about it at school. What a beautiful thing it was to look up to a blue sky Saturday morning and to talk with my children about the ways that God looks after His children and answers prayer--even in little ways like holding rain off (until about 1 hour after the party!).

Chris did an awesome job of following my vision for a skyline cut out and totally did this for me! I told him it was "as good or better than I could have done myself", but he already knew that. :) It looked great and I was so happy with it! I also envisioned superhero's hanging from it, but as we have various sized ones, he did great about putting them out to make it look somewhat proportioned. (click a picture to enlarge it. You can see a little of the invitation that didn't get framed before the party--oops!)



I had fun with the food. We had "super dogs" for the main dish (healthy, you're welcome, parents) and "super sauces" (mustard and ketchup) or "turbo sauce" (chili) to top it off. There were cups of "kryptonite", (green jello. Side note, it was melon, and actually, really good!) "x-ray vision boosters", (carrot sticks) "super stars", (cheese cut in star shapes) "lightening bolts", (grapes on sticks) and "incredible crackers" (chex mix). I felt very witty. :)







I consider it a good {kid} party when everyone seems to be having fun, the kids are active, yet not destructive, and I am not constantly checking my watch for when they will all be vacating my home. :) I'm happy to call this party a success! My parents came up the night before to help get ready and between chatting with them and my (adult) friends, I had a great time too! :) In fact, the kids were having such a good time that we almost forgot to open presents! (in fact, some had gone home by the time I remembered).

The group of "super hero's" (minus a couple who left by the time I remembered.)



Ryan thoroughly enjoyed both the opening process and his new toys. Amazingly, there were no duplicates at the party or of already owned toys. My boy was in hog heaven, and it made it all--late night, cake making, cape sewing, sweatin' the rain--totally worth it. Thanks to all who made his day so special!

No comments: