Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Splish Splash!

So, I've always wanted matching swimsuits for my kids. {keep your snide remarks.} However, I am too cheap to spring for them. To get brother/sister matching, one must order from a trunk show or another pricey boutique line, which for four, would be close t0 $200 in swimsuits (!!). Clearly, not how I roll.

I bought swim fabric from Chez Ami a few years ago but have been too chicken to try it. Until now. With Ryan turning four this year, I figure this may be the last year I could pull light blue and white gingham. :) So, it was now or never. So, I chose now.

I made the boys' pretty quickly (side note, unnamed baby doesn't have one, but as his isn't needed for spring break, I feel I can safely put that one off a few weeks. :)). I thought about buying liner fabric, but then took the easy way out and bought swimsuits at goodwill for $1 each, washed them a few times, then ripped out the liner and put it in my swimsuits. (then sold the "shorts" sans liner at consignment...for $3 each. ha!) Perfect.

See the liner? Looks pretty good, if I do say so myself...



Finished {boy} product.



Now, Anna-Kate's wasn't as quick to whip out. I was pretty skeered of it. I mean, I didn't have a pattern. Try googling "swimsuit pattern" and you come up with some hooker options for your daughters. So, I winged it. The top went pretty well. Then I got scared again. See, I actually opted for a tankini (being one who also hates taking off a swimsuit to use the restroom--I was throwing my girl a bone). Last night, I finally finished the bottoms...and, drumroll, THEY FIT! Woo-hoo!

What it will look like on (totally cute and modest)



But, voila, two pieces! :)



It's too cold to ask my models to do their thang, so pictures of the suits on are forthcoming.

7 comments:

The Bartons said...

Janelle.....these are TOO adorable!!!! Great job!! ;)

The Bartons said...

Janelle.....these are TOO adorable!!!! Great job!! ;)

Allison Boggs said...

Janelle! You are so stinkin' talented! These suits are precious - perfect for the Disney pools. :)

Katie said...

Cute, cute and CUTE!!!

Holbie said...

I love them. Great thought regarding having to use the facilities in a suit. I agree! I think the suits are very appropriate, I'm not a big fan of bikini's on little girls, but I love the tankini! It really does look awesome and cute.

Jenn said...

Oh wow! I am super impressed and would like to place an order;). Super cute suits for super cute kids!

Leslie said...

Wow! These are amazing!!