Monday, February 27, 2012

SURPRISE!

Birthdays are really important to me--always have been. :) Since becoming a mother, obviously, priorities shift (time, money etc) and the last few have been less than stellar.

Quick recap:

2007: we moved on my birthday and Chris, Anna-Kate and my grandparents (who we were staying with for a couple of days while homeless) were all puking.
2008: came home from the hospital after having Ryan on my birthday. Had an infected scar and a staph infection.
2009: in the hospital with Anna-Kate for pneumonia
2010: in the hospital with Ryan for breathing/stridor issues.
2011: I turned 30. :) Nothing bad to report, it was just a day. No pomp and circumstance. Forgive me, I'm whining at this point. :)

This year, Chris knocked it out of the park for my {mediocre} 31st year. :) He sent out an evite to some local friends (mostly from church) to meet at our favorite Mexican restaurant, organized with the restaurant to have a separate kids' table (woo-hoo!) and to have quesadillas and guacamole on the table for all and even blew up balloons. When I walked in, (on my birthday eve) I was greeted by about 50 people all there for me. I was blown away by the love! (HUGE thank you to Chris, and to all who came!)

Chris was even good enough to think to take pictures to document the festivities. Iphone quality was less than desirable in the dim lighting, but I am thankful for these!

Funniest thing, it was stuck on his head forever and he didn't even know it was there.



Looking down the table. The kids' table was just as big (in fact, I think there were more kids than adults there. :) ).



Me with my love, and Jack. :) The big kids were there too, but having too much fun with all of their friends.



***

Last weekend, when we were at my parents' house they gave me Cirque du Soleil tickets (and free babysitting to make that all possible!)! I was over the moon as I've always wanted to go and have never been. I am SO excited to see the show when we are in Orlando soon!!

On my actual birthday, I slept in (until 7:20...sigh.) and he took Jack to Publix to get donuts. :) I was given the day to sew and while I did that, he took the kids out to buy their gifts for me. I even was able to sneak away for a massage! (Thank you Mimi and Oompa!!). That night we attended a friends' 40 birthday party that was so fun! Chris bought me "The Meaning of Marriage" (Tim Keller) for us to read together, (which I love! He isn't a big reader, so this was a sacrificial gift! :) ) a 101 piece set of Wilton cookie cutters, (never fear, I will never not have a cookie cutter I need again!) a Willow Tree, (For each child we have a different willow tree, so this being our last-we think-it was especially sweet) and of course my super awesome new iphone case. It's hot pink with my monogram. I love it! He did such a good job and I am so very thankful. :)

Yesterday, he spent the afternoon baking a birthday cake for me with the kids. The kids loved it, but I think he was OVER it. Lol. He even made me homemade buttercream...it was quite the process. :)

So, my birthday weekend was wonderful--I felt loved. Thanks to all who participated in making it wonderful!

No comments: