Thursday, December 4, 2008

Eyes

The window to the soul....and yet, for my boy, often clouded by tears that just won't drain. My poor Ryan-boy.

Today, Chris came with me, and we took Ryan to the opthamologist about his clogged tear duct. Basically, most of the time it unclogs itself by 6 months, but his hasn't. (Actually, at 4 months it went away in both eyes, but at 6 months came back in only his right eyt). Soooo. The doctor said that's definately what it is, and that it will require surgery to fix it.

[In my head: "WHAT??? SURGERY ON MY LITTLE BABY...HE'LL BE PUT TO SLEEP?!?!?!?!ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!].

In reality I said, "so it won't fix itself?". His answer was probably not, and waiting until after their birthday is a bad thing because the effectiveness of the surgery goes down after age 1. If done before 12 months it is 90% effective, after 12 months, 60% effective. So, surgery it is--first thing in January. The real problem, apart from the constant gunk, is that the constant gunk signifies infection. Continual infection in the eye can lead to scaring.

Other than the annoyance of his eyes being dilated, he's been in good spirits today (even though we were there for 2 hours through his nap time). He is so sweet. We also found out he's a little near-sighted, but nothing they're are worried about yet. Geesh. If it's not one thing it's another....

Please pray for peace in my heart, even though I know this is "no big deal" and "so minor", I am still worried and know I will be so upset seeing him in the hospital and put under.

I've heard it before and it's so true..."To be a mother is to forever have your heart walking around outside of your body".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh girl, i'm sorry. the phrase "no big deal" just does not fit in the same sentence with "surgery on my baby." danny's accident and surgery were at seven months...and i was terrified at them putting him to sleep. it turned out okay, though, and i'm sure ryan's surgery will, too. i pray for peace for you.

The Levy's said...

Don't worry about it - everything is going to be OK. Just think if you hadn't found it - what a pickle! My neighbor had that done with their first daughter and everything is 110% now - so it's a good thing and keep thinking positively - your thoughts are with us!

Michael and Andrea plus Baby Dawg said...

thanks for your sweet comment! FYI I'm a loyal reader of your blog and love reading whan Anna Kate says! Oh and I love your business. I WILL be shopping once we pick a name.

Tate Family said...

Praying for that sweet boy. Nothing that our children go through is "minor."