Monday, November 2, 2009

Rant for today

...actually, yesterday, but we are still experiencing repercussions.

I hate daylight savings time. Growing up and in college I found it to be a nuisance, a minor irritation, but since having children (children on a very specific schedule, no less) have come to loathe and despise this waste of effort that occurs bi-annually in most of the United States. I realize that historically it began to save electricity/energy, the resurgance for it most recently during WW2, but began with Franklin back in our countries founding (did you know that?). While it's comforting that there actually was a reason and it wasn't just an arbitrary decision made by some random guy, the time has come for us to reverse this foolishness and be done with the "fall back" and "spring forward". Seriously, are you any more likely to go to bed when the sun goes down, thereby conserving your lightbulbs? No, we all watch our shows or read a book etc, until "time" for us to go to bed.

So, Saturday night we kept the kids up until about 8:45, hoping they would sleep a little later, to compensate for the irritating, useless time change. This, of course, didn't work. The kids woke up at "new" 6:30 and 7, respectively. Then they were just extremely tired at church (Ryan even fell asleep on someone shoulder's in the nursery! (He gave up his morning nap last early March!) Of course this resulted in a poor afternoon nap, fussy kids at bedtime because they were tired, and both woke up early again this morning. Sigh.

OK, enough whining. At least I got my Publix trip done for the week last night--and it was a doozy! I spent $54.74 and saved (drumroll please--this is a good one!) $109.37!

4 comments:

Dance411 said...

I'm with you girl! Marley came rolling in my room at 5:40 am this morning, proclaiming she slept in her bed all night and wanted a sticker! CRAP! I made her lay with me another hour and a half! Thank goodness for our blackout curtains! But kids on a decent schedule will just be messed up with these lame time changes!!

Leslie said...

I am totally with you on this! Sam was up at 5:30 Sunday morning (which was early for him even without the time change). He's been all out of whack ever since!

Anonymous said...

Logan woke up this morning at...5:00am. And 6:00am would be extremely early for him, so imagine my "JOY" when I looked at the clock this morning. Ugh. I didn't know the history of daylight savings! Thanks for enlightening me. I'm with you...let's get rid of it!

Jenny

Jenn said...

I totally agree. Kaitlin was sleeping in so well and it was fabulous. We didn't get up until 8:00 to 8:30 most days. Now it's back to 7. I guess it could be worse, but what a ridiculous thing to go through twice a year.