Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I appreciate that!

I'm gonna not be writing about Christmas or traditions today (though, I am very excited for my extended families get-together tonight!).

Let me preface this by saying, my children are not perfect. I am not a perfect parent. We are all sinners born with a sin nature, I get it.

With that said, I am so sick of parents excusing bad behavior. If your kid is ugly, pushes, what have you, do something about it. Your "perfect" little child will not magically become sweet one day without a little intervention. If you are at a playground, playdate, whatever, pay attention to your child, maybe they could act a bit kinder.

Anyway, today we went to Chick-fil-a with my mom. She had a meeting she had to go to, so the kids and I stayed to play for a bit. While on the playground, as inevitably happens, a child stepped on another child's hand. In this case, the stepee was Ryan, who began to cry. I saw it happen, it was in no way intentional or ugly (and I don't think the other little boy even knew he stepped on Ryan's little hand). Anyway, thinking nothing of it, I went to get Ryan and console his little fingers. The other boys mom (of which there were about 8 kids playing, so she did not know it was him) came up to me and asked what had happened. I said that a little boy had accidently stepped on fingers, quite unintentionally and that's just what happens at playgrounds, no big deal. She immediately called her son (maybe age 4 or 5) and reminded him to be careful for little fingers and slow down, be mindful of younger kids playing etc. What a fantastic job! It required so little on her part, was a great chance for her to talk to her son about kindness to others in a non-emotional setting (ie, he wasn't in trouble) and it warmed my soul to know there was another mom out there who had high expectations and actually watched her older kid at the playground.

That's all. Happy Wednesday! :)

1 comment:

Holbie said...

Janelle-I agree with you completely. I teach Jonas that if he even accidentally hurts someone he needs to apologize. Jonas is pretty quiet, but I have zero tolerance for being rude to others. I do believe we need to teach them at a young age to be well behaved...and "boys will be boys" infuriates me...my mom had two sons and they are both well mannered. I'm so happy the mom said what she did, I was expecting the opposite.
Merry Christmas - Allison