Saturday, December 12, 2009

Survey says...

I'm officially not the "fun" parent.

Bummer. But, we all knew it. :)

Last night was our annual decorate the gingerbread house night. Anna-Kate had been looking forward to it for weeks. I put the house part together and was stressed out by 4 little hands interfering. I then realized it wasn't about me. I also know myself, and I can't sit there. So, I picked up the camera and took pictures as Chris decorated the house with the kids. They LOVED it. Anna-Kate has said 3 times since its completion, "Mommy, I just had so much fun decorating my candy house!".

Ya, she never said that last year.

I'm not gonna lie, it looks horrible. Almost all of the candy is on the roof, with very little on the front, back and sides. You know what? They think it looks great (although, Anna-Kate noticed that there isn't any on the back and said so earlier today. I told her I would have put some candy there, but she got to do it however she and Ryan wanted). (I'm such a good person. Bless my little heart).

Enjoying the process:







Showing me her "candy house" and the tree for outside she decorated.



The finished product (*shudder* it doesn't look like the picture! Side note, good mommy, letting go...)

6 comments:

phillips phamily said...

I picked up a tip from a friend for next year:

HOT GLUE that thing together the day or an hour before decorating!

THEN let them do whatever they want. And let go!

Holbie said...

Looks great. I'm thinking of buying one for the kids to decorate on their own one day this week....I'm sure ours will turn out somewhat like yours.

Lindsey Wilkins said...

hello.

I enjoy reading about you and your family. I am never one to give advice(because when I was a young mom, it would irritate me when I received advice that was not asked for) but I am you....or I was you. and speaking from experience the control type A that you and I both have we carry over into our kids. we cant help it.

i caused so much anxiety in my kids because they would stress and be so worried that they were not going to do something (whatever we doing-projects, room cleaning etc) the way mommy wanted. looking back I am so ashamed. celebrate the difference! it will be ok! i can see you learned a lesson from this. it will all be ok. I promise.

Chris said...

I think it looks awesomely delicious.

Mom said...

Your children are blessed to be raised by a Type A mother who grew up with a Type A mother who just couldn't seem to let it go. They will thank me some day--not so sure about you!!!
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.