Friday, September 3, 2010

So, it's official...

I drive a van, that van is kinda full of kids, and said van took us all to our first soccer practice. Yep, get me an official card, I'm a soccer mom. :)

Anna-Kate had her first soccer practice this week. She has been dying to begin soccer and was so excited to play, especially as she knew five of the kids on her team already. I realized, day of practice, that she needed to wear shorts. That presented a bit of a problem as she doesn't wear shorts. Ever. In fact, I didn't think we had any, (I had returned or sold all of the shorts I bought ahead for this year as I decided it wasn't worth the battle) but fortunately, my mom had gotten her a cute pair of shorts that somehow hadn't been sold. Super. We pulled the tags off and off she went (and chose to ignore the fact that she was one of 2 kids not in mesh/gym/workout shorts. O well. She will be wearing the exact same thing until we get our uniform shorts).

We ate dinner at Chick-fil-a, then headed to the field. We were on (I believe) the only field with zero shade. A bit unfortunate, but, to be expected. :) Things started off well--she was given a pink ball, (which matches her pink cleats--too cute!) and she thought that was super! She and Adam paired up to do some kicking exercises, but it all fell apart when the coach (a man) bent down to individually instruct the kids. She started crying and came over and said, "I think I'm too shy to play soccer." I gave her a hug and told her to be brave and sent her back out there. Rinse, wash, repeat--about 7 more times. The coach brilliantly told the kids to try to kick their balls at him, which a bunch of 4 year olds thought was hilarious. She got back into it a bit then.

We concluded the night getting icecream to cool off (it was crazy hot, and frankly, I think that's what the big problem was for her). Anyway, we got to the car and she completely surprised me by saying, "I really like soccer and had fun, it was just too hot for me." God love her, we've been outside in the heat so infrequently this summer, because of Jack, that she's not used to being that hot. Sad, isn't it?

So, to the fun part....could she be any cuter?!?

Water break (and, when she finally agreed with me that a ponytail would be the way to go.



So happy with the little pink ball!



Huddled up with the coach.



She and Adam kicking back and forth:



Waiting her turn to kick the ball around the cones (this was about 45 seconds before the crying began).



Watching for the ball:



Poor Ryan was near devastated that he isn't big enough to play soccer yet. To add insult to injury, I forgot water for him so he was forced to drink from Anna-Kate's princess water bottle. Poor second kid...(imagine what it's gonna be like for Jack. Hmm.).



Ending practice with a mini-scrimmage.

3 comments:

Holbie said...

Janelle, I had the realization today that I too am officially a soccer mom. Jonas starts next Saturday...here the 4 year olds have a quick practice before their games on Saturdays, so its very low key.
Congrats on the new title "Soccer Mom"! I can't believe our kids are old enough that we are now those moms!

Holbie said...

Also, perhaps Anna-Kate can give Rachel instructions on wearing dresses, and Rachel can give Anna-Kate instructions on wearing shorts...

Dance411 said...

she's such a cutie pie on the field!