Monday, February 14, 2011

Be still my heart

I love Valentines Day.

There are many naysayers (cough, cough SCROOGES) out there who tout no need for the love holiday. While it's true that I love Chris every day of the year, I enjoy a day set aside to specifically demonstrate love. And let's be honest, shall we, who doesn't love getting fresh flowers? I mean really.

So Chris had to go out of town for the day on a business trip and left well before we woke up. I was a little bummed, but we went out for a special dinner last weekend and I was fully prepared for it. Imagine my surprise when I came downstairs this morning with Anna-Kate and walked into the kitchen and saw flowers. Everywhere. There were 3 bunches of tulips (my absolute fav. Well, and roses and gerber daisies, but whatever.) in a vase. Beyond that, he had gotten a mylar balloon for each of the kids and a little chocolate for the big two. Anna-Kate had hot pink roses (I may have been jealous at the color--they were so pretty!) at her place, and there were a bouquet of red roses at my place at the table with chili cheese fritos proped up next to them. (A long standing joke...they are my favorite chips but they are absolutely horrible for you and they stink--well, they smell like chili. Anyway Chris hates the smell of them and it became his way of showing his love to me to buy me a bag every year on various holidays. Ironic that this year he bought them when he was out of town.).

I was blown away by Chris' thoughtfulness to make today special. I was also blown away by the priority he is placing on setting a strong male leader/husband role to our children. A few weeks ago when he took Anna-Kate to the daddy daughter date at Chick-fil-a, he went and bought her a rose and then came and knocked on the door to "pick her up". It is precious to me to watch him and I am so very blessed. Anna-Kate lovingly replaced her (on it's last leg) rose with her new ones in her room. I have flowers in most rooms of my house and I am just very happy. And, it smells lovely.

On a sadder note, I took a good many pictures today, but my computer is messed up. So, tomorrow. :) For now, happy Valentines Day!

No comments: