Monday, February 21, 2011

A pirates life for me!

Ryan requested a Captain Hook birthday party. (I am continuing the trend of Halloween costumes getting a second use for the following birthday--last year was Mickey and he's already talking about his "Buzz year" party next year, and the kids will be characters from Toy Story next Halloween. Makes me happy. Anyway). I googled "pirate cake" and found an awesome picture to copy. I was a little overwhelmed, but knew Ryan would D-I-E when he saw it. I looked everywhere for the Capt Hook and Peter Pan to put on the cake, but discovered they are only sold at Disney stores-in Disneyworld. With shipping, the cake toppers would have run me over $30. I was beyond stoked when I remembered that I had my brothers old Playmobile pirate ship (and accessories) in the attic. SCORE! It worked out perfectly for cake toppers.

The cake (thanks to Leigh-Ann for coming over and helping me think through how to make it all work and hand icing those blasted wafer cookies! :) Such a good friend.)



Close up:



My 3 year old pirate:



All ready for the party (since Anna-Kate and Lydia were the only girls they came as princesses).



My parents went in with us and go the kids a bounce house for their (collective spring) big birthday present. We didn't tell them, just blew it up and let them come out and see it. It was a HUGE hit! I've been looking for one for quite some time and found the one I wanted on a huge weekend sale through amazon. So great!



"I jump!" Then, Ryan looked at my mom and said, "Nana, do you just LOVE this?!?" :)



His first look at the cake



I think he liked it. :) (makes all of those hours worth it!)



More jumping



With his buddies, Jack and Lydia



Group shot of all the guests (babies included!).



Waiting to blow out his candles (here with his sweet little friend, Brooks, from school, his "best" friend.)



The treasure map that Chris helped the kids interpret to find buried treasure.



I so appreciate how "in to" everything Chris got. Here he is leading the kids on their treasure hunt.



The kids finding their treasure (I saved baby food jars, had Chris spray paint the lids black, put a pirate sticker that matched Ryan's invitation--from vistaprint, for free--and filled it with chocolate filled gold coins. Each kid got their own to take home with their foam ($1 bin) sword for their favor.)



This was the year of Woody and Buzz. Ryan is crazy about those characters (who, up until now, existed only on his underwear). Here is is opening his present from Chris' parents.



Anna-Kate picked out this Toy Story puzzle for Ryan weeks ago and just couldn't wait until his real birthday to give it to him.

5 comments:

Drena said...

so impressed with your cake making skills!

May have to steal the idea about wearing costumes twice. Love it!

Mom's Blog said...

After you told me it was Mark's legos, all I could think of was, "Mark would have loved this!" Good job, Janelle! You and Chris are great parents!

Unknown said...

Awesome party Janelle and a super impressive cake! Geez, you are seriously the jack of all trades!

Katie said...

Me, not Spencer!

Blake Pilgrim-Walker said...

Janelle is a great host! She makes Martha Stewart look bad (juggling a pre-schooler, a toddler, and a baby) and making everything look simple while she does it, but More than anything she is a WONDERFUL MOTHER. I know you worked really hard though & it probably wasn't as simple as it looked, but your hard worked payed off. I am really glad that Ryder was invited to Ryan's party. Thank you again for inviting him. I really enjoy reading your blog. I admire you as a mother....it keeps me in check sometimes.