Friday, February 25, 2011

Changing decades

*Alternate title: "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to"

dun, dun, duuuun.

My twenties were good to me. I graduated from college, married the love of my life and had three wonderful babies. I keep hearing, "just wait, your 30's are even better". I can't see how, but I guess I'm not given the option. :) {I'll let you know, from the vantage point of "older and wiser".}

I have, however, decided that this will be my last birthday. Ever. Not so much because I am scared of aging, (I'm not) but because my birthdays are historically horrible. Don't get me wrong, I've had some good ones, but the last 5 have been particularly disastrous (says the girl who LOVES birthdays, especially mine, because it means a day is all about me. I guess that's why I'm tired of them. They aren't all about me anymore...). Anyway. I'll do a quick recap for you. Last year, I was in the hospital with Ryan over my birthday {you know, croup}. '09 we were at the hospital getting x-rays of Anna-Kate's chest {they thought it was pnemonia, it wasn't). The year before that, I was in the hospital recovering from the train-wreck that was childbirth to produce Ryan. '07 we were moving the day of my birthday, I was the only one in my whole family not sick and Chris forgot about my birthday. {You may all begin feeling sorry for me now. Thank you.}

N-E-Way. I took the kids down to my parents' house for a couple of days this week. Since this is the big 3-0, I decided this would be the year that we would turn around my birthday being horrible {but you know, the best laid plans...but I get ahead of myself}. Mom had planned to cook a big birthday dinner for me and had invited my grandparents over to celebrate. I had to run a quick errand to pick up Ryan's pictures (a story for another post) and return something. Mom and Jack came with me and my Dad stayed back with the big kids. I congratulated myself on hurrying and returned to the car at 5:03 (we were supposed to pick up my grandparents "5ish"). I couldn't find my keys. I'm not one to lose my keys, {I leave that to Leigh-Ann, lol} so I checked the only place my keys ever are if not in my purse: on the drivers seat. Yep, there they were, next to my phone. Thankfully, mom had AAA {of which I've really gotten her money's worth!} so immediately called. Long story short, we waited 2 hours and didn't get dinner on the table until 8:05 (if you know me, my kids' "schedule" had me twitching!). Chris begged me not to drive home and to stay the extra night. {Side note, the evening actually turned out to be fairly relaxing and fun.}
I planned to get up and leave at 8 this morning to make Ryan's well-baby appointment at 9:20 this morning, but when I called to tell them I would be late, they said they were booked and I couldn't be late. So, I waited until 10 to leave, to coincide with Jack's nap. (we also had a birthday party that I was forced to miss and were invited to the childrens museum with friends, but missed that too. Urgh.) Ryan's had another couple week run where we have battled wills {I keep telling him Mommy will always win, but he is certainly giving me a run for my money}. This morning was no exception. Children should be more clearly taught that there are certain days of the year that require perfect behavior out of them--my birthday being one of them. Anyway, I began driving, already exhausted. We were about 25 minutes into our 75 minute drive when all lanes of traffic stopped pretty suddenly. And there we sat. For a long time. Long enough that Toy Story ended in the car, Jack woke from his nap and I had less than 1/4 tank of gas. We finally got going again only to come to a complete stop about 2 miles up. Here began, "I'm tired of sitting here", "when are we there?", "I need to go potty", "why aren't we going?". It was awesome.

So, the tradition continues (at least we aren't in the hospital this year, right?). Let's all enjoy it, my last birthday. Here's to hoping 2012 brings a smoother February (since my expectations will be set particularly low in anticipation).

Thankfully, Chris turned the evening around for me with a wonderful night out!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Waah wahh, quit your whinin debbie the downer.

And for the record I did not forget your birthday, I was just too sick to celebrate it.

Anonymous said...

haha, at least we are consistant with our keys! gotta give us both that :)

LOL.

Leigh-Ann