Friday, February 13, 2009

Hallelujah!

The wait is over, we officially made it into preschool for the fall. Not that I think she will learn something there I can't teach her myself, but she really loves MMO, you know, school. Ultimately though, this is where I want her to go to kindergarten, so it's a matter of getting her in now while I can (clearly, competition is stiff, we got the last spot, and if you know me, you know I did everything I could to get her in!). A little obnoxious that you need to think about kindergarten when your child is not yet 3, but, whatever. The reason I am so interested in kindergarten at this particular school is that it is half day. I firmly believe 5 year olds are too young and not ready for 8 hours a day. I know that's my personal opinion, but, that's what we've decided and I am super excited about the school--both academically and spiritually. Yay.

We had to go to the school this morning to register and I knew the kids would be sitting in the stroller for a while, so I told Anna-Kate to grab a toy to take with us. What'd she choose? A sit and spin. You know:

Photobucket

Seriously? Could she have chosen a bigger toy? (and, I should add, one she never plays with.)Of course I said no, and then she was just sad. Not even baby Kate could make her happy (that is, until we got to school and her buddy was there also registering and she saw a park. Great bargaining tool. Sit still for 20 minutes and you can run to your hearts content on the playground.)
Win-win.

***

The weather has been G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S lately. We have spent many hours outside in our new fenced backyard! We have been wanting a fence since we moved in, but, as they aren't cheap, were trying to be responsible and wait. Thankfully, my parents gave us fence money for Christmas that made it possible (thanks Mom and Dad!). It makes our yard look so big and much more manageable. A little sad story...Anna-Kate loved watching the men put it up but asked why we got a fence. I said so she and Ryan could play outside while I was inside cooking and be safe. Her response? "O, now bad men can't come and get me." Completely matter-of-fact. I was a little speechless as she has never displayed fear of anything (except bugs, you know, all girl and all) and this was so out of no where.

***

Today she was pretending to be the big bad wolf (you know, "huff and puff and blow your house down"). She says, I puff and puff and blow you down, the playground down, but whatever.

AK: "I wolf. No, I baby wolf, you Mommy wolf."
Me: "what about Ryan?"
AK: "oh, he baby wolf too, and copper, he dog wolf, raaar."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay to the preschool! I share in your joy. (: I know you've been waiting on that. And I am TOTALLY with you on the half day kindergarten. I can't imagine sending a 5-year old to school full-day!!!

Jenny

Katie said...

I love your AK funnies! They sure keep life interesting and laughable!!

love,
katie

Anonymous said...

Anna Kate,
Congratulations on your acceptance to pre-school but I knew you would snow the admissions people. I can't believe we're already talking abt. pre-school. Where has the time gone? Tell your mom that I'm always happy to open her blog and find something new. I had so much fun in the toy dep't. of Target today...can't wait to return. See you soon..Love and Happy Valentines Day. MIMI














,