Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Happy birthday to me...

So, if you've talked to me in recent months you would know that this is the year of Janelle. What I mean by that is that last year on my birthday I was in the hospital feeling like I'd been hit by a truck after having Ryan, and the year before that we were moving. And Chris and Anna-Kate were both sick. And Chris forgot my birthday. So, this birthday was the year of Janelle and today was going to be all about me. Or so I thought.

Yesterday Anna-Kate woke up with a fever, not terrible, but enough to (obviously) keep her home from school. No biggie, I put on Nemo while Ryan's playgroup was here downstairs for his little birthday lunch (don't worry, I lysoled every surface and kept her upstairs--germ free downstairs!).

Today, I woke up early to run (what was I thinking??) and decided to make myself go faster (again, crazy thoughts!). So, needless to say, I started the day off tired. I went to get the kids, and AK still had a fever, but it was lowgrade and I thought nothing of it, except for that we'd have to stay home today instead of meeting friends for lunch or something for my birthday. However, when she woke up from her nap I went in to hear her say, "Mommy, I have fever and my head hurts. I need med-cine". I said I'd have to take her temperature (which she hates) if she wanted medicine (as I thought all this was a ploy for meds). As her underarm temperature read 103.1, I called the ped who said they had no openings, then hearing that her fever was so high said they'd wait for me if I'd hurry and get her there. An hour after having motrin, they read her temp. at 102.8, and, given her past pneumonia experience, sent us to the hospital for x-rays after doing a flu test which came back negative.

So, instead of having a nice relaxing evening at home with Chris cooking dinner for me (which was the orginal plan, how sweet is he?? He also got me tickets for us to see Brian Regan--who we LOVE--an IPOD shuffle, yes, I"m joining the 21st century, and some cushions for the bath), we were at the hospital, then drove through Little Caeser's for a $5 pizza that I shoveled in my mouth on my way to a consignment sale (which, incidently, I got some amazing buys!!).

Thankfully, the pediatrician called us back tonight to say that the x-rays came back fine, it isn't pneumonia and that she will be fine as soon as the fever's gone...ahh, maybe next year will be the year of Janelle.

4 comments:

Tate Family said...

Thankfully, she is ok. Great birthday after all! And, those are some pretty nice gifts from Chris!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry your birthday didn't turn out the way you expected it to. So glad AK is okay! Hope she's feeling much better today? You have a very thoughtful husband. Maybe he can cook dinner for you this weekend if everyone's on the mend!

Jenny

Jana said...

SO sorry it wasn't the day you were hoping for. I know as a Mommy sometimes you come in very last, especially when sick kids are involved.
Hope you get to have some special time to celebrate YOU soon! Happy Birthday!

Janelle said...

Y'all are so right! I am very thankful that it is nothing serious with Anna-Kate!! Isn't Chris the best?? :)