Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The day that just wouldn't end

Alternate title: "Working on getting a frequent user punch-card at the hospital"

Alternate, alternate title: "Can winter please be over now?"

Ryan started being a bit fussy on Saturday. Sure enough, top two molars were beginning to poke through. Simple fix, the miracle drug more commonly known as childrens motrin. Wam, bam, thank-you-ma'am.

He began not to eat as much, but I chalked it up to mouth soreness. Monday we went to friends' house to play and he was out of control. He has never in his life cried as long, loud or been as inconsolable as he was. I had forgotten his motrin, so gave it to him at 11/11:15. He started acting a bit more like himself about 12:45...put him down for nap at 1. He woke up at 2:30 and was crying on and off until I went in there at 3:45. He was lying on his back, red as a tomato with a pitiful cry. I picked him up, and within minutes began to sweat myself. He was radiating heat. Took his temp, 104.3. Ped wanted to see him asap, so schlepped the kids across town (since the close office was booked for the day). She couldn't find anything wrong with him, apart from the fever, so sent us to the hospital for a full work up of labs. (As that high of a fever in one so young, pretty out of no-where with no other symptoms and with motrin still in his system is kinda scary.) I was up with him at 12:30, 1:30, 3:30, 5:30 and up for the day at 7:30. That is far more frequently than I was up with him as a newborn--yowza, my body sure isn't used to that anymore. Can I say coffee?

Long story short, his white blood cell count was elevated so I had to take him back in yesterday. Opted to hold off on antibiotics as long as possible and am medicating with afore mentioned miracle drug around the clock to keep the fever down. He woke up from nap yesterday with 104.4. Let me tell you how fun the afternoon was...the assumed diagnosis is that he has roseola--a really high fever for 3 days followed by a full body rash. Super. Will keep you posted on those good times to come.

Today, before his nap he had 97.8, so hopefully, we are out of the thick of it. I have been trying to keep the kids apart so she won't get it. We are traveling to Macon this weekend for my roommates daughters' birthday party, one of my best friends husbands' med school graduation get together, and our family mothers day/Anna-Kate and Moms birthday celebration. Getting sick=not an option. Appreciate the kind words and continued prayers.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Oh goodness! So sorry to hear that! I will keep you guys in my prayers!

Gil House said...

well, if it makes you feel any better, ezra ran a fever anywhere from 104.4-104.7 for 3 days straight last week. the doc thought it was roseola, too - only the rash never showed. and yes, he WAS getting his top molars, too. could our children be separated from birth or something????

Liz said...

Never a dull moment right? Wow, poor little guy and poor momma. You guys are in our prayers. There's just something about those middle of the night high fevers...scary! Sounds like things are improving. Thanks for your kind note too!