Wednesday, May 27, 2009

In their eyes....

I am a magnificant artist. Anyone who really knows me knows that I am very uncreative and the worlds worst drawer. However, Anna-Kate constantly asks me to draw pictures for her (of princesses, Nemo, sea creatures etc). Today I said, "I really can't honey, Mommy just isn't very good at drawing". She said, "O you are Mommy, you are such a good drawer, you are the best." Amazing. :)

I am an amazing singer. I do love to sing, and am pretty decent, but recognize my limits and know I'm not Idol material or anything. But my kids, both of them, love to hear me sing. It instantly calms and quiets both of them. I love to rock while snuggling my kids and singing hymns of praise while silently thanking Jesus for the precious blessings He has bestowed!

I am the great healer of boo-boos. Amazing how my kisses are magic. Anna-Kate can be crying like her foot was cut off, and a simple kiss later, the tears are gone and she hugs and thanks me for making it all better. Amazing what a little love can do, huh?

I am the authority on any question about anything. I find myself often frustrated and quickly annoyed by the constant barrage of "why" (don't you?) and the repetitive nature of said question (for example, why is the dog sitting there? Because that's where he wants to sit. But why? Because he is comfortable there. Why is he comfortable there? Because the pillow is soft. Why is it soft? Because the fabric is soft and fluffy. Why is it fluffy...." I kid you not when I say this conversation happened.). I have to remind myself that my job right now is to educate my children and that I am the one they trust to answer their questions.

I am their mother and, for now, the greatest love in their lives. And all in all, I'd say that is a pretty spectacular thing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the power of "MOM." It's a beautiful thing!

The singing portion of your post is so true in our house, too. I think when kids hear their Mamas sing, it captivates and calms them, and then THEY pick up the words and a love for music, etc. So important!!

Hey, let's get together & draw stick figures sometime soon! ;)

Jenny

Tate Family said...

So very true, Janelle. I often marvel at the "power" I hold in his little heart and eyes.

Kinda reminds me to always hold my heavenly father with such high regard.

Being parents is so sobering (spiritually)!!

The Levy's said...

Amen sister - especially the authority on EVERYTHING!

Chris said...

What am I chopped liver? LoL!

Meanwhile here's how Anna-Kate's interaction with me goes:
AK: "Daddy why does the dog sit there?"
Dad: "Because honey, he likes sitting there and its comfortable."
AK: "No daddy..."

No explanation, just "No you're wrong" *sigh* lol

Leslie said...

So true Janelle!

Chris, Haha... Bud has already noticed that mommmy is more desirable than daddy in many situations :). But, it won't always be like that.

Sara said...

Awww, I love this post! So true!