Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Decisions, decisions.

We are in the midst of deciding on schooling for next year. It's hard to imagine that Anna-Kate will be in kindergarten in the fall! What is also mind-boggling is the amount of time and stress involved in picking a school. Home school? Stay where we are currently for a 1/2 day kindergarten? Go to one of the 3 close local Christian schools? Sigh. Although I am fully aware that we are not deciding on 13 years of education for all of our kids right now, I, obviously, want to make the best choice and feel like that best choice could potentially be a long term decision for us.

Leigh-Ann and I went on a tour last week, sat in a class today and have tours set up on Thursday and Friday. My head is spinning--and I am no where near a decision! I never knew how stressful it all was.

I struggle with determining what are fair expectations to have of a school. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. I've asked the questions about curriculum, ideologies on phonics and reading...but, I mean, it's kindergarten, I'm sure anything is fine. Right? (this is me officially welcoming thoughts and comments on the matter. How and what did you choose? Teachers, any insights?).

Home school--pros, she's home and I have complete control over what she learns/hears/does. On the flip side, the cons are the exact same. :) I'm simply scared that with a toddler and a Ryan, that homeschooling might be a bigger bite than I can chew next year.

Current (1/2 day) school--it's the easy decision. It's a lot cheaper than another Christian school option, it's where Ryan will be going so carpool would be a breeze. As well, we are familiar with the program/teachers etc. Con would be that it is definitely a more casual atmosphere (Moreover, I am absolutely hung up on/distraught by the teacher not requiring the children to say yes/no ma'am to her (as I witnessed during the class I sat in on).

The traditional Christian school--it's expensive here. On top of that, I don't think I'm ready for Anna-Kate to be gone full day (nor do I think it's necessary at age 5, just me, I don't judge others who send their kid all day.). The only kink here is that there are some financial aid perks that are available to kids entering kindergarten that aren't available to you if you enter at a later grade.

I'm kinda over thinking about it (and I'm certainly over spending the very few school hours I have with just Jack touring schools and classrooms!). We are definitely praying for an answer and peace in our hearts with the decision we make and we welcome your prayers and thoughts on the matter.

Let the commenting begin {and go!}.

3 comments:

Chris said...

i already made my decision........

Mom B said...

Trust Chris, and trust the Lord to lead you through Chris. You really don't control the future anyway, the Lord does. Trust the leadership you are given today, rest in that with the joy that you are following the lead of a great man, and the rest will fall into place as it should!

leigh w. said...

wow! can anyone else say anymore....
go mom b! angela's teacher friend/ your blog stalker (you inspire me!) here. but if your only hang up on half days is the manners thing, my mom is a yankee and only my g-parents insisted on m'am/sir thing and i still do it. i even say it to hubby, though it annoys him, but now daughter will learn to do it as well.. if only i can teach him to say please more!!