Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The other side of the coin

So today was one of those days. You know, the ones that you have to think hard to remember days like last week. Ryan is getting his top four teeth (finally, he will have more than the bottom two!). Four teeth is a lot and my sweet easy-going boy has been incredibly fussy and needy. Not that I blame him, but it is tiring to hold an 18 1/2 lb baby. All day. And sometimes balance that with also holding a 2 1/2 year old. All day.

Anna-Kate is trying her darndest to give up her nap. Let me say, that is a sad day. Don't get me wrong, my days of afternoon freedom are far from over. We have quiet time here--until she's in school in the afternoon we'll have quiet time (currently, it's 1:30-4--though she usually sleeps for at least an hour in there). It takes her so long to fall asleep and then she doesnt' sleep well at night, so we've decided to just put books in her bed and tell her she can read quietly and use her "whisper voice" or sleep, her choice. See how nice I am with the options? :)

Anyway, today she never fell asleep. So, when she started crying at 4 on the nose I went in to her crying, "I all wet Mommy, I wet". She rarely has accidents during her nap, but she had a lot to drink, so I did a preventative strike (I thought) by putting a pull-up on her. Well, when I asked why she was wet (and naked, mind you) she said, "I no want to get my panties wet, so I took them off".

Of course you did. Why not, that's logical. I have to pee, so I'll take off the thing that absorbs my pee and keep it dry and just soak my matress, sheet, blanket, lambie and all other sleeping paraphanalia. Super.

What followed was not my finest moment. When I again became calm, cool, and collected Mommy, I had to comfort my traumatized child and assure her that yes, accidents do happen, but in the future she is not allowed to take her panties off in bed to go potty. I am merely a shout away and I'll dash her right on off to the potty. Then, I was off to get Ryan--who had woken up with a poopy diaper and to whom I had forgotten to give motrin before his nap. Way to go Mom.

The following hour was spent holding both of them (as they both cried hysterically if put down) and tried to keep everyone's respective hands to themselves as each tried to push the other off my lap. (Which, begs the question, what does one do when a third child comes along and said Mom only has 2 legs on which to sit? Hmm.)

3 comments:

Tate Family said...

A day where Mama shouts AMEN when Daddy gets home! HA! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Emily! ;)

I'm sorry for your bad day, Janelle. You're a great Mom! I know it's hard to see the big picture on rough days...I have my fair share of those sorts of days (today was one of them for me, too). And what happens when you have 3? Usually it means all FOUR of you are crying at the same time. ;)

Jenny

Katie said...

Ummmm... did you really just paint this awful picture for me of what life will be like for me when Rane gets older?????? :)

love,
k