Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A moment of brilliance...

...if I do say so myself!

A little background...last fall I went to a Chez Ami party (children's trunk show, aka, highly over-priced, but extremely cute kids clothes). I had skipped the 3 before I had been invited to, so decided I had to go and make a purchase for my friend. I found a precious little pink and white striped dress (comfy cotton playdress). With shipping, $40. It.killed.me (I am so cheap you know!). I bought a 3T to get two years wear out of it and looked on ebay to see that this brand sells for about 40% of what you spend on it. "An investment" I told Chris. :) Ha! (PS, husband was not amused). Anyway, in late December one of the buttons fell off so I took the button and dress up to my work room to sew it back on. Company came in town that weekend and it got put away...on top of a lamp...lamp got turned on...HUGE holes in dress from burning. Check out the extent of the damage (not shown are the huge brown spots...horrible, I was SO mad at myself!).




It's bad, right? Well, I was about to throw the dress away (because the holes were too high up to just cut it off into a shirt). Then, my afore mentioned moment of brilliance. I hand appliqued "flowers", then added ribbon and buttons.



I can not get this picture to be horizontal (and that's how it was taken! ugh!)



It's not my favorite dress in the world, but it beats throwing it away. What do you think?

13 comments:

Tate Family said...

BRILLIANCE, indeed!!

Glenn and Angela said...

I love it! great idea!! :)

The Bartons said...

i love the shirt- i think it almost looks better than before :) PLUS- nobody will have a shirt like anna kate! :)

Gil House said...

I like the dress even better than before!!!

kelly said...

color me impressed

Jana said...

Very cute, Janelle! I love the way it turned out. So glad you didn't have to just throw it away. Very creative fix!

Holbie said...

I think it looks better than before!

Holbie said...

Also - I wanted to add, that I reused several of Jonas's boy clothes for Rachel this past year - I purchased iron on applique's and added flowers/butterflies/girly things to the boy color clothing she inherited. It turned out great and got me through the winter!

Chris said...

I'm still mad at how much it cost...

but am always impressed with your sewin skilz.

And yes the dress is way cuter than it ever was pre burning

Anonymous said...

Wow, it absolutely looks MORE adorable than it did pre-burning! Seriously Janelle?! You are amazing!

Jenny

Katie said...

Girlfriend, you never cese to amaze me....

Sara said...

Genius! You're so creative:)

Anonymous said...

Janelle, You really are SO creative and talented. I am uber impressed!