Thursday, September 3, 2009

Time with the boy

Alternate title: I am a terrible mother for not having my camera this morning. You missed out on priceless facial expressions from Ryan.

So today I decided to have a special "date" day with Ryan. I'm trying to be mindful of our time together while Anna-Kate is at school, especially before the baby comes. I had a list of errands to run today, but as stores don't open until 10, we hit Target up for a little fun. I didn't get a buggy and just let him run as we walked around the store. We played in the toy section, played peek-a-boo as he was in the middle of the clothes racks--he had a ball! You would be proud of me. I didn't hurry him, I let him explore the hanger on the floor and the knob on the rake...Ryan was so good and sweet that I decided to use my $1 off coupon at the little Target cafe and we split a blueberry muffin and a water. He was on cloud nine. He sat at the table in a big boy chair and ate his half with the biggest grin on his face--amazing how he thrives under an hour of individed mommy attention. (Note to self: remember to give it). It's hard...he's not a "squeaky wheel" if you know what I mean, so it's easy to not give him a lot of attention.

We then went and ran a few errands and he sat so sweetly and quietly in the buggy. We had an hour before we had to get Anna-Kate from school, so instead of going home for 30 minutes, I decided to stop in at Pets Mart, aka, my son's favorite place. His eyes lit up when we walked in. He ran straight to the dogs (in the doggy daycare.) (Yes, they have that. Yes, I almost gagged. Sorry if you are an animal person. I am not). It's a long window and there were probably 12 dogs behind it. It was the big dogs turn to run around (so all labs, golden retriever's, large poodles etc). He would press his face up to the glass and scream "daw!" (dog) then run to the other side of the window, press his face to the glass, "mama, daw!". He was giggling he was so happy. He gave 100's of fish near heart attacks as he ran to their tanks and pressed both hands on the glass and starting making his fish noise (think like a kissing mouth). We then saw the birds and guinie pigs...not as interested there. He LOVED watching the dogs get groomed though. I held him there for about 15 minutes as he watched one dog get his hair and nails cut. Precious.

As we drove to pick up Anna-Kate he dozed off in the backseat--he had a smile on his face as he slept. :) What a fun and wonderful morning!

5 comments:

Mom said...

How sweet!

Chris said...

Thats my boy, he was the same way with the birds and rodents with me. Loved dogs and fish.

Sara said...

What a fun outing! Totally understand your comment about the "squeaky wheel"!! That is Reid in a nutshell... always talking, whining, yelling, crying... making sure we know he is there!! I think that might be his new nickname ;)

Holbie said...

:) Thanks for the reminder about how great of a place PetSmart is to take young kids.

Glad he had a great time!

Whitney D. said...

What a fun morning! David Loves going to the pet store as well, he calls it "kitty eat-eat" since that's where we buy one cat's specialty food (delicate tummy). It is an excellent free field trip every 2 weeks.

Hope the 'golden trimester' is soon for you (after you're sick, before you're huge), and my mom and aunt Joanne say congrats!