Friday, June 18, 2010

A day of firsts, not to be repeated.

I woke up at 7:06 to Ryan sitting on my feet saying "potty, Mommy!". (We didn't make it in time. It was a doozy.) This is a first time that I've ever woken up to a child in my face, in my bed. Don't want a repeat of that. Ever.

Tried to crawl back in bed. Anna-Kate came in 15 minutes later, sobbing. She had fallen out of bed and landed on her head, waking her up (also, a first). I agree, that's a bad way to start the morning. She didn't recover until after quiet play time (that would be 4 pm). I don't enjoy days where someone "wakes up on the wrong side of the bed", even if they fell. O well.

I, miraculously, got a shower, the baby fed and out the door to pick up my friend and her daughter on time (did you catch that? I picked someone up at 9:30am). We made it to church on time to do the final VBS workday before vacation Bible school starts next week. Did I mention this already? Somehow, I was put in charge of music (which entails leading the opening/closing ceremonies, teaching the kids the songs and motions and then leading them in worship next Sunday.). I am thankful to not be doing this alone! Jack slept in the car there, but awoke as we got off the highway. Of course. He didn't sleep again, except for 20 minutes when I put him in the sling. The pizza that was ordered came 45 minutes late (12:45. Can I tell you this is an eternity to kids who are hungry and generally eat lunch 11:30 or 12?). So, Jack, as he hates the carseat and was over-tired, and Lauren, my friends child who wanted to take her nap, cried the whole way home. (By cry, I mean Jack wailed uncontrollably the.whole.way.home. He stopped for about 30 seconds, but that was just to rally and renew his efforts of expressing his displeasure.). Ryan fell asleep and had an accident (which, incidentally, soaked his carseat. Super). This also means when I transferred him I had to change his underwear, which woke him up and he didn't nap well after. Anna-Kate cried in frustration of Jack screaming and rejecting the paci. It was super. Sara and I had to just laugh, or we would have cried.

(Sidenote, I always think of plausible excuses in my head of what I would say to a cop if I got pulled over. I don't think I would have needed one today. I had 3 screaming kids. 'Nuff said, right?)

I fed Jack at 1:50 (instead of 2) and put him down at 2:05 (instead of 3) and he slept until I woke him up at 5:10 to eat. Think he was sleepy?

Now, I'm off to finish making homemade pizza (with sausage, avocado, and mushrooms = YUM.) to kick off Father's Day weekend. Jack is being baptized on Sunday, so I figured we needed to make the weekend special since Chris' "day" wouldn't be all about him, and the awesome father that he is. :)

Wouldn't you know it...as things come in "3's", Ryan fell and got his first bloody nose from a fall. Blood everywhere...soaked through my two shirts to my skin. Sigh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

goodness sakes girl. good thing we are getting our pedi's tomorrow! you need it!

Leigh-Ann

Sara said...

I always think about the "cop" thing too. What excuse would I have... and I always think if I do get pulled over, I hope both kids are screaming and crying and maybe he would let me go! :) Ha! I might just pinch them both if I do get pulled over.

Anonymous said...

It's times like these that you are so thankful that Chris doesn't have a traveling job!
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

What a day you had! But through it all I kept thinking, "I can't believe that was the first time you ever woke up to a kid in your face!!!!" W-O-W! That is a daily occurence for us. ;)

And - LAUGHING - I do the SAME thing re: thinking of plausible excuses to tell a cop should I ever get pulled over (which I never have, knock on wood). Too funny!!!

Jenny

Tate Family said...

Ditto to Jenny -- I wake up to Wesley's face every morning. Love it. "Mama, I ready to get up now." :)

What a rough day. :(