Thursday, June 10, 2010

Dollars

This has been a week. I can't say all that's been going on for now, but hopefully there will be answers, closure and peace in the coming days here!

***

Last week I got it in my head to redecorate the downstairs bedroom that I have taken over as my crafting/sewing room. It is the lone room with "builder white" walls and zero done to it, and it's been bugging me forever. (Before and after pics will come soon hopefully!!) Well, evidently, Saturday was the day. I bought fabric, trim, a few knick knacks and have been working on it day by day (you know, in the 45 minutes a day I have to myself each day...). Anyway. I got away from the store without one of the pieces of fabric, so Anna-Kate and I went out for a special "mommy daughter time" to get it (thrilling, I know).

[longest blog intro to a story ever.]

As we were in the car she said, "Umm, I think I want a sewing machine so that I can sew Jack some burf clops [burp cloths] with a cross on them so he will always remember that Jesus died for him." I told her that was a lovely idea and she continued, "and I think I should make one for Baby Kate too. Are sewing machines expensive Mama?" I said that they were and she said, "Oh, well that's OK because I have a LOT of dollars!" I asked her how many she had and she said $5 (that she received from for her birthday from Aunt Julia). I told her it cost a little more than that. She said, "mama, do you have a lot of dollars in your bank?" Umm, not really...but I said, "I have more than $5." She said, "oh, like, ummm, twelve?" "sure" I responded. "OK, well I am going to use all of my dollars and your $12 to buy a machine. I want it as a surprise for my 10 older (year old)birthday. Then, we can sew together and that will be so fun!"

Makes me heart happy and proud.

On our way home I decided to stop by McDonalds to get an icecream treat (we split the 'fun size' Reeces PB cup flurry. YUM). I drove through and their icecream machine was broken. (of course...)
AK: "that's a bummer Mommy!"
Me: "I know, a total bummer!"
AK" "what's 'total bummer' mean?"
Me: "uh, like the biggest bummer ever."
AK: "well, it's OK, we can stop at the McDonalds closest to our house and get icecream there instead."

What a problem solver. :)

As we ordered at the 2nd McDonalds and waited in line, she pointed to our Chick-fil-a calendars and said, "do you want me to give you the coupons to save money on our icecream?" I'd be lying if I said my heart didn't swell with pride over my budding frugalista!

1 comment:

Dance411 said...

hilarious! mommy's daughter huh!! :)