Monday, October 25, 2010

Ryan update

So last week when I was at the pediatrician for Jack's appointment, I asked a few questions about Ryan (and his breathing/croup stuff). The kids' doctor has this way of looking at me and rolling his eyes without them ever actually moving and smirking without actually smirking (I bet he used to annoy the snot out of his mama!). Anyway, being the person I am, I get to experience this a lot. Any-who.

So I must confess, that although I didn't think he'd actually call me back, he did. In fact, he has called three times in the past 4 days. He called Ryan's ENT and I'm not quite sure what was said but they are going to do something in office without general anesthesia. Not sure exactly?? I was also happy to find that often (or, sometimes?) polyps or cysts can form in the throat after being intubated and if they are present they would remove those (I mean, I'm not happy that there might be polyps, I'm happy there might be a somewhat simple fix, or at least something that could make Ryan's situation a bit better). So, *something* might actually come of all of this after all. Taking him in on Wednesday.

In an effort to start the week off strong, I will be getting a cavity filled tomorrow. So, let the good times roll...

Of course, I have a lot of questions for the ENT, but my epi pen idea was absolutely shot down. I don't feel like I've been given a good reason on it, but it was a big fat no. Evidently, the oral steroid is the way to go. He (Ryan's ped) also suggested that since his symptoms are so severe that I carry it with me at all times (as I would an epi pen...) and that I get a second prescription to keep for him at school. So, we'll see what comes of that.

1 comment:

The Bartons said...

So glad you're getting things looked at! Are they doing a flexible endoscopy? Seriously, if you want to call Matt and ask him some questions feel free to call me tomorrow (he's on nights so he gets home around 7-8am- so if you call around 10am your time it would be the best before he goes to bed). Anywhoo- not sure if he would be much help at this point, but atleast you could ask basic questions so you maybe don't have to deal with any eye rolling, etc. :) interested to see what's going on in that esophagus of ryan's! :)