Friday, November 19, 2010

Irony

...or something like that.

Yesterday morning I was listening to the news as I got ready. I heard there was a major accident with fatalities close to where Chris now works. Of course I immediately wondered if he was ok, but then promptly forgot about it in the mad rush to not have free time while the kids were at school (it went down like this, take kids in to their classes. Drag Jack to the post office. Return to school to set up for the feast, complete with grapes, apples, pretzels, goldfish and marshmallows--aka, every kids' dream lunch. Took Jack and Anna-Kate to Target to get a birthday present, fed the baby in the car, went back to school for Ryan's Thanksgiving party. I know.). Anyway, so when I got back I called Chris, but it went to voicemail. A couple of hours later, he still hadn't called me back so I called his cell phone. Straight to voicemail. I was a bit worried, so started texting him. He's fine, not involved in that wreck. (here's where the irony kicks in). On his way home he had a little fender bender and called me to tell me I had jinxed him. Hmm.

***

This morning was one of those mornings that I could hardly wait to get a sip of coffee (you know that kind of morning, right?). It had just finished brewing when kids began getting up and I had to help get dressed, make beds etc. We get downstairs and I poured my coffee and put it to my mouth to take that first luscious sip when the baby woke up and I had to go feed him. I came back downstairs and realized we had to leave that minute to avoid the "walk of shame" (you know, when you have to walk your kid into preschool because you are too late for carpool). I was rushing everyone out the door and holding my precious mug of coffee. The kids were a good 10 feet behind me as I took my first sip of coffee (still kindawarm, definately not hot). Anna-Kate decided that would be the moment to obey quickly and came running into the garage, knocking my arm, which knocked my mug, which shattered. I probably had the stupidest look on my face as I stared at the floor, contemplating what to do first. Shards of glass? Deal with hysteric girl (who hates being wet and was absolutely drenched: dress, tights, shoes of coffee)? Get myself a new blasted coffee? (you'll be thrilled to know good mommy won out). I tried to calm her down while also successfully keeping the boys from walking/crawling into the coffee/shards of glass. I ran upstairs and got her new clothes, (that matched her bow--one bit of time savings!) got her redressed, alarm set, everyone buckled in...then noticed I had forgotten my coffee. Went back in, undid alarm, got coffee. Set alarm, started to back up. Realized I forgot my phone. Pulled back in, undid alarm, raced back upstairs to get it, reset alarm. I was the last car in carpool. God knew I probably couldn't handle a walk of shame this morning. So, I rolled in, coffee in hand, kissed Anna-Kate and headed to the grocery with the boys.

But that's a story for another day.

1 comment:

Jonesey said...

Great storytelling Janelle :)

I was with you! So sorry about that coffee, but glad Chris was ok!