Thursday, November 25, 2010

A thankful heart

It seems I'm always reminding someone to have a "thankful heart" around here. Thanks to Larry the Cucumber (a la "Madame Blueberry") we often talk (and sing!) about "a thank heart is a happy heart". We have also been learning that joy is an even better kind of happy, because it is a choice that we make to be happy and thankful, in all circumstances.

As today is Thanksgiving, I've been thinking a lot about the things I'm thankful for and have been overwhelmed by God's goodness and blessing to me this year. I am so thankful for Chris and my kids, my parents, family and our friends, a warm home, health, Chris' new job, our church and a myriad of other things.

But, there's more. These are the less obvious ways that I feel blessed. The day to day things that are exhausting and frustrating that I am learning and choosing to be thankful for.

I'm thankful that my husband calls me on my sin...because that means he knows me well enough and loves me enough to push me to be a better person.

I'm thankful for mind numbing exhaustion at the end of the day. It means I have young children who need me physically and emotionally to love and care for them.

I'm thankful for a messy house. It means that I chose to ignore the mess and spend my time playing, laughing and imagining with my kids.

I'm thankful for the endless laundry. Each little shirt and pair of socks covers and warms the people I love most in this world! {Bonus, it's a major sense of accomplishment on the rare occasion when it's all clean, ironed and put away at the same time.}

I'm thankful for tear and tantrums because it means my kids aren't always getting their way. They are learning to share, wait, be patient, or get self-control. They are learning character, and that's hard, but oh-so important.

I'm thankful that my health (and those I love) isn't always perfect because it let's me see my helplessness, complete need for a Saviour, and watch as the Lord upholds and walks me through hard times.

{Here's one I'm especially working on truly feeling as I've spent my life quite concerned with how people view me and if I'm liked. I can't believe I just typed that.} I'm thankful that I've been excluded for being "too Christian" and conservative minded. I'm {slowly} learning that it is so much more important to please Jesus and that it isn't all about me.

What are you thankful for?

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: