Thursday, November 4, 2010

It's pouring over here

You know, "when it rains it pours..."

(Witty, I know.)

It's been a week. Let me recap. Anna-Kate got sick on Sunday--nasty cough and crazy fever. (So, there ya go, that's why there has been no posting). Monday, we stayed home and tried to get healthy. Tuesday I woke up and left to vote at 7:10 (brrr and it was dark). That afternoon Jack started getting it and Anna-Kate woke up from her sleep with a 103 fever. I tried to get the pediatric nurse on the phone to consult with but after pushing the corresponding number for my request I heard, "adult scheduling". No, peds. It took 15 minutes to get through because Jack was crying and it kept interrupting the voice prompts. I finally got an appointment (for 6:15) and took her to the pediatrician. They did x-rays to rule out pneumonia (because she's had it before). While there the on-call doctor found that she had so much earwax in her ears that she couldn't see if her ears were infected or not (ewww!). I'll spare you the details. Bottom line, by the end of it, the nurse and I were both trying to hold Anna-Kate down to get it out (via warm water pic after a "loosening" medicine was applied). Evidently, when the chunk of wax came out the water shot straight to her eardrum. Poor girl. She told us to come back on Thursday for a nurse appointment to get the rest of it out later. We finally left at 8:15 (she hadn't even had dinner--poor thing!). Wednesday was spent at home, cabin fever was peaking as everyone was feeling pretty good, but stuck. I was also trying to clean and get my things together for the holiday open house I was hosting. I had some of the things I sell, plus 5 various friends' small business stuff. So fun! My mom drove up to help me with sick kids/time stuff. The open house was 9-12 and 7-9 today, and 9-12 tomorrow. {I'm tired.}

Are you still there? There's more. Riveted? Thought so.

I got a call from the pediatrician this morning who wanted me to get Anna-Kate on amoxicillan to "nip in the bud" any borderline pneumonia (after reviewing the xrays). Mom graciously went to pick up the rx for me. Jack started getting more sick, so much so that I had to turn him over my knee and hit his back because he was choking on his mucous. With my friends' RSV scare I decided to take him in. I spent almost an hour trying to get connected to ^%@$$!%#&^*$@ Kaiser. My friend stopped in to check out the wares, so all of the kids were running around crazy well in to my happy time, err, naptime. While she was browsing, I received a call from the hospital where Ryan will have his surgery to say that his case history "failed" and we had to go back down for a pre-op appointment with anesthesiology. (while I was reaching for the phone I knocked an entire tupperware of homemade applesauce on the floor. It landed perfectly face down. I was speechless with the misfortune.) She gave me the option of Monday at 9:30 or 12. I opted for 9:30, but it should be interesting trying to get there on time with school drop off and traffic. I'm too tired to write about the annoyance of trying to get Anna-Kate's ear looked at by a nurse (you know, what the first doctor told me to do). Bottom line...Chris' job starts (along with our new insurance) on the 15th. There is no looking back! :) Jack is technically fine--just miserable with a "nasty cold". Thankfully, no pneumonia. So, the plan is to sell a lot of stuff tomorrow (to afford the massage I desperately need after carrying at least one sick child around all day since Sunday and sewing all night). Though it's been steady, I've been underwhelmed at the number of people who showed up (despite rsvp's via evite). O well, hoping for a busier morning tomorrow!

1 comment:

Dance411 said...

Aww man!! tough day! Glad your mom was there! And baby mucous and homemade applesauce on the floor suck!!