Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My anxious heart

I know that the Lord promises to give peace. I know that He faithfully loves me and promises hope and rest.

The problem is, my head can know that all day long, but my heart is still filled with fear. I'm not an anxious person by nature, and on the scale of "mommy worry" I'm generally pretty low, that generally just isn't my particular area to struggle with. This week isn't generally.

Ryan's surgery is scheduled for Thursday morning. I know in my head that in the grand scheme of surgeries this isn't a big deal (but so help me, if another person flippantly tells me that I might smack them) and that he will be fine, but I'm worried. I honestly tear up every time I let myself think about it. I know it is an irrational fear and it is simply a result of me not trusting the Lord fully, but it's where I'm at.

Tonight as we sat to read our devotion the book randomly opened to the story of Jesus healing the little girl (in case you are unfamiliar, her father went to Jesus to ask Him to heal his daughter, but by the time He got there, she had died. The Bible says Jesus spoke life back into her!). I was crying by the end. As Chris and I were talking, after the kids were down, he said he'd been thinking about Abraham and Isaac. The deepest desire of Abraham's heart was to have a son, and God gave him a son. But God wants to be loved first. He tested Abraham. We believe in the sovereignty of God--that God holds little Ryan in His mighty hands and is fully in control. Do I trust God when it means relinquishing my mommy control? Evidently, only kicking and screaming.

Please pray for Ryan on Thursday morning--for safety and health (and that the doctors would find what they need, he would wake up from the anesthesia, and that he wouldn't have stridor because of the procedure--thus requiring an overnight stay). Please pray for me--to trust in the Lord and for peace in my heart. I know I'm gonna be a wreck watching them take him back when I can't be with him.

5 comments:

Christy said...

Praying for you! And being scared (of something that IS a big deal!)doesn't mean you're not trusting. It's ok to fear things we face in this life. It's trusting his goodness and sovereignty, no matter the outcome, that's the main thing. We will be standing in the gap for you and yours!

Dance411 said...

praying with you!

The Stephens Family said...

I'm praying friend! And know that God meets us exactly where we are, always.

Mom B said...

We'll be praying. I STILL remember sending Emily back for her tonsilectomy. My heart was in the little bear they let her carry back with her. Even though it was "just" a 30 minute procedure, I was scared. I like what Christy said above. Fear is normal...we trust in the Lord, we fear again, we trust in the Lord. The big deal is, you know where to go with your fear. Love you!

Jana said...

Janelle, It was great seeing you yesterday! I will be praying for Ryan, the doctors as they work and for YOU and Chris. Sometimes when I have Mommy worry and Kane tries to help me calm down, my first response is....isn't worrying part of my role as a Mommy? Would I be a good mommy if I never worried about my children at all? The worry of a Mommy comes from a deep and great love/concern for them...not sure we really are supposed to worry, but I do think it's 100% completely natural! Will pray for you to be able to trust God in all of this!