Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Say What??

AK: "Umm, did you know God is purple?"
Me: "Why no, why in the world do you think that?"
AK: "Because He does"
Me: "That makes no sense. Why is God purple?"
AK: "Because He does, then He turns red, because He's God."

***

For a long time every time we hear a police car, ambulance or firetruck on the street we pray for the workers to be brave, God to keep the people safe etc. It's now become second nature for Anna-Kate. Every time we hear a siren now she stops whatever she is doing and tells me, "Mommy, we need to pray for them" then closes her eyes, folds her hands and waits for me to pray. Well today, I was on the phone when a ambulance went by. While I was talking I heard in the backseat, "Jesus, thank you for brave doctors and keep the sick people well. Amen". I love that!

***

So, we spank (no judging, this in no way is to turn into a right/wrong discussion on that. You will not change my mind if you disagree. Ahem.).

For a long time now Anna-Kate will "pop" her dolls and pretend friends ("Adam-boy" and "Adam's brother", yes, 2 separate friends) for being naughty. She is also very quick to ask them why they got pops, tell them she forgives them, pray with them to ask Jesus to forgive them and then give them hugs and tell them she loves them (that's our system). A few months after this began, she started poping bad people in books. For example, the mean men in the Good Samaritan Story or Goliath. The whole time I'm reading the page she says, "we need to tell their mommy they bad, but I give them pops! Pop, pop, pop!". We are now delving into, "Mommy,you give Ryan pops because he pull my hair. Here you go, pop him now."

Really? She's freshly 3, already??

The other day, however, was a new experience and one that still makes me chuckle. We were at McDonalds and she was playing with a friend on the playset. I told her one more time on the slide and then we were leaving. She climbed up to the top, and 3ish minutes later, still no Anna-Kate. I call up to her and she sticks her head in the window.
Me: "come down now please."
AK: "No." SAY WHAT???
(No is a 4 letter word in our house)
Me: "Excuse me, do you need to correct yourself?"
AK: "No thank you and no ma'am"
Me: (trying not to laugh) "Obey mommy first time. You don't want me to come up there and get you."
AK: "Yes I do" (to be fair, not bratty, I think she thought I meant to play. But still.)
Me: (irritated, especially since I had on a skirt) went to get her, got to the top and without a word held her hand the whole way down. When we got to the car I said the words my mom said to me Oh so many times..."you made mommy sad, and you made Jesus sad because you disobeyed mommy. You need to think about what you did, and when we get home, you are going to get a spanking" (dun, dun, duuuuuun).

The whole way home I had to make myself not laugh when I looked in the rearview mirror as she had this look of "what'd I do now?"

I put Ryan down for his nap and then walked into her room. She said, "Mommy, I already went potty and I cleaning my room".
Me: "That's really good Anna-Kate. But, what did mommy say was going to happen when we got home?"
AK: "Umm, I forget..."
ME: "Anna-Kate?"
AK: "I think I should take my nap now Mommy". She then gave me a kiss and hopped in bed.
Me: "Anna-Kate?"
AK: "I so sorry Mommy I disobey. I love you so much and I so sorry."

I now *get* "this hurts me more than it hurts you".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That AK is something else Janelle! So funny! Today Logan spanked himself, apparently. He was goofing off @ naptime, being loud & keeping Madison awake in her room next door. I told him, "If I have to come back in here one more time, you're going to get a spanking." Sure enough, two minutes later he was bouncing around in bed and being loud. I came in, gave him the "promised spanking" and he just sort of snorted/chuckled and said, "I already spanked myself." How could I NOT laugh?!?!? KIDS!

Jenny

Meagan Dennison said...

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one struggling/laughing with these types of things!

Kathy said...

I'm crying now. Oh, the memories! :-)
Mom

The Bartons said...

omg- if AK is not spitting image of you......I seriously am sitting her in bed and read your blog to matt- we're "LOL"ing and have tears in our eyes. OOOO the fun that you have with your little girl :) She's hilarious.

Heather of Troy said...

You are such a great storyteller. I love this! You are such a good mommy, too!