Saturday, June 13, 2009

Wow, I'm a bad person

Anna-Kate has always loved puzzles. We have been working on jigsaw puzzles recently, her favorite being a 36 pc fish puzzle. I have tried to teach her to do the outside pieces first then do the center. I'm telling you, it is a huge excercise in patience for me. It is all.I.can.do to not "help" (aka, do it) for her. And, let me be clear, to do said puzzle is about a 30 minute undertaking. Kills me.

Today we were working on it and I had taken away all of the middle pieces and we were doing the outside square. There was one piece left, easy peasy, right? One would think, but alas, no. 5 minutes she spent trying that piece in every possible place, including the right one, but backwards. I kept saying, "straight lines go next to each other, right Anna-Kate?" "Yes mommy, right...". After 5 minutes I seriously couldn't handle it anymore. I put my head down and said tensely (not ugly, just not sweet either), "There is only one place it can go and that place is right here." She tried, again backwards to no avail. I said, "mommy is getting a little frustrated, why don't we leave this here and finish it after your nap?".

I put her in bed, gave her a kiss and was leaving when I heard, in her sweet little voice, "Mommy, I so sorry that I make you frustrated." Dagger to heart, what a scumbag am I?? I immediately went over to her and told her it was fine and asked her to forgive me for not being very patient with her. "Oh, course I forgive you mommy, I love you" she said.

Amazing how my lack of patience to teach her a new skill is a learning opportunity, just as much for me as my little three year old.

Man, I feel like a bum though.

2 comments:

The Levy's said...

Just read yesterdays post to yourself and you will be alright - just remember, patience is a virtue! I was told that a time or two growing up and I have said it MANY times to Hannah - it will pinch me too, one day soon! :)

Chris said...

I'm pretty sure puzzles are evil.