Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Busy, busy!

We have been crazy busy lately! This weekend was nuts, and we haven't slowed down since. Monday we had an early morning VBS meeting, had a playdate and lunch with friends, naps, then went swimming and had dinner with the Crabbs. Tuesday I hit the JACKPOT (deets below), had Ryan's playgroup, went to Target to get a birthday present, naps, pool with friends and dinner with friends. Today, returned to sale to continue hitting the JACKPOT, went to Anna-Kate's friend, Asa's, birthday party, and now the kids are napping. I think we'll chill at home after naps today and tonight I have my final board meeting as president of the MOMS Club and a farewell dinner (yum, Mexican and margaritas!). Add into that, I've had a lot of business stuff lately, and it's been a really busy week!

OK, so my Jackpot story! On Sunday, we were at our home group from church and my friend, whose daughter (AK's age) is always dressed so cute, said, "my friend has sold her business, Brinkley's Berries [a children's boutique/trunk show line] and is liquidating the samples she has--everything is $10". That is my kinda sale. :) The stuff was super cute and I got Anna-Kate a little dress, a skirt and a pair of pants for the fall. I was about to check out when I noticed a wall full of bolts of fabric. I asked her if she was selling fabric and she said she was. I asked how much per yard...$2.50!!! If you know anything at all about fabric and sewing you know that this is a STEAL. It was really nice, heavy, designer children's fabrics (seersuckers, heavy cottons, minky etc). I would guess around $15-$20 a yard had I bought it at a store/online. I was in a hurry to get to playgroup and it was so hot so I only grabbed 4 bolts and got 1 yard each. I got home and was kicking myself for not getting more. My friend, Sara, who had shopped with me, went back yesterday afternoon to get more fabric and called me to say I needed to go back because she had remnants as well as the bolts. If it was less than a yard it was only $1!!!. So, I went back this morning and spent $30 (and spent $10 yesterday). Here is what I have:

The one to the far right is white with tiny blue flowers on it. I think all will make cute summer dresses. The brown and pink I am thinking a little top to go on top of a turtleneck with some cute pants with ruffles at the foot. I should add, when I say "a yard" I mean, she eyeballed a generous yard, then to make sure she didn't shortchange me, she added another foot or so in. So most of this is 1 1/2 yards.
Photobucket


Pink, blue and tangerine seersucker (SO CUTE!) pink, brown and purple mini-gingham. I feel like a lot of this will do well in matching brother/sister outfits.
Photobucket

Light pink and blue chambray, hot pink twill (monograms really well) and a gorgeous white fabric:

Photobucket

The really fun stuff! Bright pink polka-dots, a pink/green/black paris toulle, blue with mini giraffes, brown cow print, and a tropical themed fabric. (way cute beach brother/sister clothes for next summer!)

Photobucket

I know, I know. I'm a nerd. I can't tell you how excited I am about this. In fact, every time I walk by my stack of fabric, I get a little giddy inside. I"m set for a while, but think of all the money I've saved! I just need to start sewing...now. Hmm.

I should probably show a picture of the actual clothes I bought, huh?

Imagine this winter white fine wale corderoy dress with a large red monogram on it, over a red turtleneck. I'm gonna applique a shirt to coordinate with these brown pants with the teal ruffle pants. And the skirt, it's precious, right? :)

Photobucket

2 comments:

Michael and Andrea plus Baby Dawg said...

Oh my gosh so much fun!! I can't wait to see what all you make! Thanks so much for all the advice. I can never get enough of it that's for sure! You'd think with all the money these Dr's get paid they'd pull it together and get it right ya know? Anywho can't wait to see your finished product from your JACKPOT.

Katie said...

Man Janelle! You are Super Mom! How do you do all that each day? I'm tired now from reading your post! That fabric is absolutely adorable and what a steal for sure! I wish I knew how to sew and save so much money! Spencer would actually kiss my feet if I did! ha!