Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wow, I'm really pregnant.

So I'm going to the OB every week now (because, you know, I have time to do that). While I was there today I had a few interesting discoveries.

1. Baby Jack is breech. Evidently this is better for a C-section. I'm guessing because they just pull legs, not head, out? Or so if they cut too deeply bum gets nicked instead of forehead (like Anna-Kate's was). This also explains why I can't effectively pick things up off the floor or breath. His big ol' noggin is all up in my lungs and upper belly area. Interesting. This would also explain the Olympic like precision with which he flips and turns…I thought I’d been feeling some twizzles in there!

2. I've gained 22 lbs this pregnancy thus far. I consider this to be a personal victory (though I'll add, not because of anything I've done. I've personally eaten half a box of Samoas and half a box of Tag-a-longs this week, curse you Girl Scout Cookies!--in addition to my share of the Mickey cake).

3. He's a big one. I'm measuring 2 weeks big, though the doctor was quick to say it wasn't because I was too big. Good man. These Kaiser docs are getting a little better, at least with tact...

4. My afore mentioned doctor who has acquired tact will not be doing my C-section. No, much worse. He has lost all feeling in his fingers so is off OB call and not doing any other surgeries (today was his last and the woman he was performing a hysterectomy on was aware of the numbness. Seriously?? Whatever, when she turns up pregnant in 3 months, it's not my problem I guess). Anyway, since the other docs are out that week, I will be getting whichever Kaiser doctor in the city is on call that day. Super. In better news, I found out that I got a 10 am schedule which is perfect as far as not having to wake up at the crack of dawn or depriving myself too long of food before surgery.

Again with my silver linings.

If you follow my life via status updates on Facebook, you will know that I spent all day Sunday with contractions. Seriously, all day. All through church, came home and took a nap and was awakened from my precious slumber. They got to be 5 minutes apart and didn't hurt, but definitely were attention getting. Anyway, he was completely unphased by them as I am fast approaching "full-term" status (isn't that 37 weeks?). So, I guess it is what it is (though I will add that it is shocking how my idea of life and God's differs sometimes. I've had more than one friend say to me that God laughs when we tell Him our plans. I can only imagine that to be true. And yet, I try to keep planning and controlling. Thankfully, He loves me anyway.).

3 comments:

Dance411 said...

hey marley got kincked too on her forehead by sometime of monitor! i had a vaginal birth though, and this time cornel was on the dr about making sure aubrey would not be knicked! good hubby! seriously marley had a mark on her head for like 6 months!!

on another note, I'm happy things are going well for you and i hope Gods plans and your plans somehow align for the best delivery!

Holbie said...

Janelle - in a way I'm glad that baby Jack is breach :) It kind of solidifies the decision to have a repeat c-section. Hopefully you won't be wondering, "I wonder if I could have done a VBA2C" since he's breach :)

Mid-wives around here always suggest a glass of wine if contractions start...that usually helps calm the body down and they go away. I had a completely different outlook on wine with my pregnancy with Rachel. I had 2 back-to-back shots of injectable morphine @ 14 weeks due to an emergency. If a Doctor thought that much morphine was safe, then in my opinion 1/2 a glass of wine was safe every now and then. (I was NOT drinking wine a lot...but I did have some on special occasions and near the very, very end when I was 41+ weeks).

Good luck!

THobbs said...

Oh Janelle I feel your pain!! Being preggo has so many stresses...especially with other little ones running/pooping around! :) We made it to our c-section date- knock on wood- unless for some reason I go into labor in the next day and half. I had contractions for 2 hours last week, 5 minutes apart...and thoughtt the moment was here. But as soon as I laid down they stopped. Hang in there. Baby Jack is coming at the PERFECT time, with the PERFECT doctor.