Thursday, May 13, 2010

Duggar Time

I know some people don't like them, but I am obsessed with the Duggar family. In fact, I was "ugly crying" as I watched their 1 hour special when they brought their youngest home from the hospital. I'm sure I was a little more emotional as my due date with Jack was days apart from hers--yet her baby was born early December. I say, like them or not, you have to respect the fact that even though they have a ton of kids they are raising well behaved, godly kids and are living debt free. Clearly, they're doing something right.

Anyway, all that to say that "Duggar time" is a phrase often used on the show. (And it refers to the fact that they, as a family, typically run between 60-180 minutes late. But seriously, if I had 19 kids, I would too.) Thankfully I am not that late, but I feel like despite my very best efforts, I am almost always late. I try ever so hard to be on time, but I evidently run on "Janelle time" (aka, 15 minutes late, with extreme effort, 5 minutes late). Sigh. This morning, however, I finally figured out the trick to being on time (to school, in this instance). It's a 3 part plan. 1.) Wake up earlier (I know this is obvious, but it pains my soul). 2.) Have your baby sleep through the night so as to be decently rested. 3.) Pack (most of) lunches the night before. (again, I know obvious, but I hate eating a lunch packed the night before...the bread is either soggy or hard, the fruit is gooshy...) But, I got everything ready except for the sandwiches which saved a lot of time. Brilliant.

Then, after drop-off, I had a "come to Jesus" with Jack where I told him I had a lot of errands to run and he simply had to get over his dislike of the carseat, at least for today. God bless him, he was a trooper. We dropped the big kids off at 9:05 then went to Hobby Lobby, Target, TJ Maxx, 2 different local stores, Ann Taylor Loft (who is having a 30% off clearance sale right now), Bed Bath and Beyond, I nursed the baby, then Gymboree, (also having 30% off and offering gymbucks currently) Chick-fil-A and then Publix (where I did my shopping for the week)...and managed to run (while awkwardly carrying my carseat as my groceries were on top of my stroller) into school at 12:58 to get the kids. Poor Jack cried the whole way home, but, can you blame him? Did you catch that? That would be TENstops. Even I'm impressed with myself (and my baby.).

6 comments:

THobbs said...

WOW. MAJOR props to you super mom!! That's amazing. I may need to have that talk with my little ones. :) And FYI...My Dr. here in Little Rock that delivered Emily...delivered the Duggars baby! Yes, my brush with fame. And my hubby was working in the same hospital that little baby was in...I told him to go sneak a peak, but he didn't. Pretty cool though.

Tate Family said...

Dear Heavens! I know E would have been screaming, too. :)

Holbie said...

That is a lot of errands. I love the Duggars too. I am happy that they are on tv...Michele Duggar is actually on my list of people I'd love to meet. I agree they do a great job raising their family.

Dance411 said...

i love the duggars too!! it's amazing how much you can do with a baby! but I'm sure you were exhausted! janelle time isn't too bad!

Katie said...

For even more evidence that we are like twins, as our our daughters, I LOVE the Duggars and am obsessed with them too! I love their show b/c they are all about God and serving him in all they do. I take their parenting tips and apply them to EA and Rane, or at least I try! :) Spencer thinks I'm nuts for watching them so much but I think it is quality programming!

Anonymous said...

I do the very same w/ Aiden's school lunches - everything is done the night before except the sandwiches...and occasionally when we have leftover pizza, I can put a slice in foil the night before for Aiden's "main dish." I also set out clothes the night before. Have you tried that? It seems like it'd be a fast, easy thing to do in the morning, but with 3 kids to get up, dressed, fed and out the door, it's a major time-saver! No thinking too early in the morning. ;) Sounds like you're doing a GREAT job Mommying 3 (which I had no doubt you would!) and wow - Jack IS a trooper! 10 stops?! Amazing!

Jenny