Thursday, April 30, 2009

A fool-proof way to relieve frustration.

When my kids read books it somehow requires that all books be taken off of the shelf for said reading to take place. As they both love to read, (even by themselves, which I know is a wonderful thing...)the hallway in between their rooms is often impassible because it is so strewn with books. (the OCD in me starts ticking every time I walk by, but I digress).

The other night, Chris was out and so I was doing bath/bed duties alone. I told Anna-Kate to clean up the books while I put Ryan down and then we would have special girl time and she could stay up late. I walked out from Ryan's room to find the books still on the floor, not the first one picked up. I looked in her room to see her reading her Bible story book ever so sweetly. I told her she had disobeyed Mommy and that I was sad.
AK: "I sorry Mommy."
Me: "Why are you sorry Anna-Kate?"
AK: "I don't know."
Me: "What did you do bad?"
AK: "Huh?"
Me: "Why is Mommy and Jesus sad?"
AK: "I don't know."
Me: "You disobeyed Mommy by not picking up the books like I asked you to. When you disobey it makes Mommy said and Jesus sad. You need to apologize and ask Mommy to forgive you."
Ak: "I sorry Mommy."
Me: "Why are you sorry...." I am not exaggerating when I say that almost verbatim, this conversation happened 3 times in a row. My patience was sorely tested and it was all I could do to remain calm and even toned when speaking with her. But, I persevered and finally heard...

AK: "I sorry Mommy for disobeying. I forgive you"
Me: "No, Mommy needs to forgive you Anna-Kate. Anna-Kate, I am glad you are sorry, but sometimes there are consequences when we disobey."
AK: "Oh, it's OK Mommy, I clean up all the books all by my-self!" (the all by myself party is her new thing and each word has emphasis on it, with her head going back and forth with each word--kinda spunky and sassy). She then finished with,"I do it tomorrow."

Seriously? I had to walk away because I was laughing so hard. All frustration went away.

So, there you have it, a simple way to forget frustration, reach the breaking point and then have a 2 1/2 year old say something so funny, you just can't ignore it.

1 comment:

Tate Family said...

Oh, yes, I have ALSO heard the "I forgive you" line when it was supposed to be the other way around. I, like you, started laughing hysterically.