Thursday, October 1, 2009

Janelle and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day (or, night)

Wanna feel better about your day? Then read on my friends, read on.

Today is Anna-Kate's day to bring special snack to school. The letter this week is "B" and the color is brown. Banana Bread-perfect (and, if playing scattergories, 2 points!). I've had this planned and on the calendar since I received the schedule in August. There's the background.

Yesterday I was sewing and ran out of bobbin thread for my embroidery machine. (and it was really finicky and messing up--and I had been told I needed to oil my machine). So Chris offered to put the kids to bed so I could schlep go to Jo-Ann fabric up in Kennesaw (about 35 minutes away). I had a very specific list and was in and out (Seriously, gone like 1 1/2 hours). I had every intention of stopping by Publix on my way home for brown bananas and butter milk to make my bread (for the first time EVER in the history of my life my bananas did not turn brown on me this week. Of course.) Clearly, you know where this is going and that I did not, in fact, stop to get said items at Publix. I came home and started at it again. I was completely exhausted, so at 12:15 I decided to go to bed. I went to the kitchen to put my glass in the dishwasher, then happened (thank you Jesus!) to look over and see my uncooked yellow bananas staring at me. I was so peeved with myself.

Next best thing to relatively healthy banana bread? Brownies, of course. They start with B and are brown. So I reach up, grab a box and throw them in the oven. I decided to upload the fair pictures to my blog instead of starting a new sewing project. (See how productive and multi-tasking I am, even in the middle of the night?). The timer went off and I went to get the brownies, but they looked funny (granted, I hadn't turned on all the lights...so at this point I did). Guess what I discovered? I had made a cake. In my defense, it was brown, err, chocolate. There are no words I can think of to describe the level of my tiredness and irritation. Oi vey. I weighed my options (wait for it to cool and make icing...time consuming or make brownies) and opted to make brownies. So I set the timer again and made the brownies. Successfully.

I crawled into bed (I had almost forsaken washing my face and brushing my teeth...I was that tired) at 1:45.

I woke up this morning at 8:40. Ironically, that was the same exact time I was to be picking my up friends' child to take him to school with both of my children. I threw on clothes, threw a dress at Anna-Kate and told her to put it on while I did her hair and put her tights on (which were too tight and I had to change). Went to get Ryan dressed and discovered an outfit from last year that I thought would fit him was in fact too small so had to change him again. Got the kids in their chairs, threw some cereal and milk at them while I packed their lunches and prepared the oh-so-special snack. In an effort to make it healthier, I sliced the 1 1/2 bananas I had left and put them on top of the brownies. "A" for effort? I individually packaged them up, threw my 2 remaining lunchables in the kids' lunch bags (with some carrots and grapes, healthy mom that I am), threw them in the car and went to get my friends' son...at 9:12. (To be clear, school is 12 minutes away and starts at 9). I walked the "walk of shame" as carpool is long over by now while holding AK's hand, who was holding Andrew's hand, holding Ryan (still eating) and the special snack bucket...all the while in a dirty shirt, with dirty unbrushed hair, no deodorant and only the makeup I could throw on my face at the red lights I happened to hit. (Bonus, don't have to look to put on eyeliner, so I had that on too). (I didn't even pee until I got home from school at 9:45. I thought I was going to die. I am pregnant after all).

I'm sure I was a sight for sore eyes. (and by sore I mean the mom struggling herself, today was one of those days that makes everyone around me look like Martha Stewart.)

Off to work on this craft fair some more, make a meal for a new mommy friend, deliver it, visit my grandparents, hit up a focus group and rush back to keep my kids and their 2 friends while my friend goes to the focus group.

Or maybe I should go back to bed.

Anyone want a piece of cake?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Janelle, please slow down. You are making ME tired. Seriously, channel Kelly for just one week and see how little you can possibly do.

Katie said...

Oh gosh! I am allowed to laugh yet? :)

Chris said...

I'll take that cake off your hands and eat it for free!

I would have made brownies for you if I'd known.

Tate Family said...

Oh, dear. I'm so sorry about your dreadful day.

Guess it sucked for both of us. My day was TERRIBLE yesterday. Included, among several other things, getting verbally assaulted by a parent. Oh, yeah...fun times. I love my job, I love my job, I love my job...

Heather said...

Ever heard the saying "You bloom best when your garden is weeded?" I think it's time to weed.

Anonymous said...

WOW - I didn't think you were capable of this....WOW!

Liz said...

I'm sorry you had such a bad day/night...although it is comforting to know I'm not the only with days like that.

Thank you for your advice on my post. Now I'm motivated to decide on a name! Hang in there!

Gil House said...

all i wanna know is when are you gonna start publishing your book? you are TOO funny! sorry it was so rough, but WHAT a hoot! you're AMAZING!