Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The search

...for the H1N1 vaccine continues. Not to get all controversial, but after much prayer and asking and reading...we have decided to get the vaccine for our kids and for me (and possibly Chris, jury is still out on him). (Sidenote, if you are dying to know my reasons, I'm happy to share as this time last month I swore we would NOT be getting them). Anyway.

We are in kinda a weird place with pediatricians, we have insurance that requires you to use their doctors and facilities, but for whatever reason, the doctor we've been with since moving here (not "official" doctor of theirs) is in their extended network as there weren't enough pediatrician's for the amount of kids in the area or something. So my "real" ped (who we've never seen) has the vaccine, the doctor we frequent (and is convenient!) does not have it.

OR DO THEY?

I called this morning on the way to Ryan's playgroup after dropping Anna-Kate at school to see if they had it. No was the answer I received. She said they were waiting for their shipment, had not received any and to keep calling back. OK, fine. When I arrived at playgroup, another mom, who sees my same doctor, commented that her son had received his H1N1 in the office on Monday. "Whaaaaat?" say I, perplexed at the information. I immediately called back and was told the husband of the head of the practice (who owns a different practice) had given his wife 50 of their vaccines to use and only those who had appointments and who asked for it got them while they lasted, so to keep calling back. Ugh, barely missed it. So, I get home from playgroup, school and lunch and see on facebook a friends' status: "for those who see Dr. X, H1N1 vaccines are in, call to make an appointment". You have got to be kidding me. Of course the call went straight to voicemail and of course I've not heard back yet. I'm sure they'll be gone before I get an appointment.

And it continues.

(Are you still reading? Are you bored out of your mind? Sorry about that, fall party at school tomorrow should result in better fodder, or at the very least, cute pictures).

2 comments:

Holbie said...

Good luck. My husband still doesn't realize the amount of effort that i went through to get the kids vaccinated. I found it at my doctor but was worried they'd run out before my kids got it. They'll still need a booster, so we'll worry about that in another 3 weeks....

Ashley said...

I would love to hear your reasons for deciding to get the vaccine. I had been thinking that there was no way I was getting it but I am starting to think that maybe I should especially since I am at a school two days of the week and the kindergarten class has had three diagnosed with H1N1. So why did you change your mind?